• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AERO Motorcycle Jacket, early example?

havocpaul

I have just bought this Aero Leather Clothing bike jacket at a local boot fair and would like to date it, it is steerhide, the main zip is a 'Clix' type, it has heavy blue cotton lining and in one pocket I found a metal badge for the Le Mans 24 Hour 1985. I was thinking it could be a fairly early Aero...any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/?saved=1

Just noticed the pckets are lined in tartan material....

Vcruiser

havocpaul said:
I have just bought this Aero Leather Clothing bike jacket at a local boot fair and would like to date it, it is steerhide, the main zip is a 'Clix' type, it has heavy blue cotton lining and in one pocket I found a metal badge for the Le Mans 24 Hour 1985. I was thinking it could be a fairly early Aero...any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/?saved=1

Just noticed the pckets are lined in tartan material....

It is certainly an early Aero...with an early Aero label (I think... their first label)!
Van

MikeyB-17

Bung Aero an Email, they're the boys to ask! Love the jacket, why don't I ever find stuff like that?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Great jackets, short in the front, but long enough at the back. It certainly pre dates mine, which was born C1995 with the coloured label, and a zipper marked ailee.

There was also an early gilt on leather version of the label ... I don't know where that fits in.

havocpaul

Just had a short reply from Amanda at Aero...

"This would have been made around 1983..."

So must be one of their first batch and maybe quite rare now.

havocpaul

Hope he has better luck shifting his, mine has had dozens of watchers but no bites, so much for the Japs in particular collecting early examples!

John Lever

Paul, I find if you show an ebay item listing here you will have very many forum members watching it purely for the sake of interest.

havocpaul

I thought that, its first listing ended up having 27 watchers!! Still, it shows there are fewer collectors of Aero than it first appeared, I do get a little tired of those that wait for a listing to end and then e-mail a stupid offer...they get ignored!