• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero "Mariner"

lazar

Hi there,

Two weeks ago my Aero “Mariner” arrived after a waiting period of 11 weeks. And the jacket is awful good!
Dealing with Amanda at Aero was very nice and she gave good tips considering what would be good/realistic and what not. So I ordered a size 44 in FQHH, 1,5” added in the arms and in the over all length. The lining is black cotton drill, the arms were fitted with strom cuffs and two inner pockets added. Compared to the price I would have paid if ordered via a known retailer (who takes 16 Euro for each inner pocket!) I spent 310 Euro less by ordering direct at Aero leather.
I ordered this model because for me it is the perfect mix between the “Das Boot” jacket and a flying jacket of the first WW.
After two weeks of wear the jacket still is stiff as a cardboard, but shows the first signs of wear. The closing of the buttons is getting smoother and I don´t have the feeling my fingers are about to break. For my taste the positioning of the inner pockets is too wide in the back and overall too low. If you put something larger and heavier in the pockets than an average cell phone the items in the pockets will ride on your groin if seated.
The sizing feels really good, I can layer up and can wear my protective motorcycle gear underneath the jacket without feeling constricted. Riding a motorcycle the jacket feels good, you have enough arm movement and if the top butoon is closed the wind protection is good.
I can´t wait for the moment the jacket will be broken in! I tried the “happy jumper”-method mentioned in the hat forum but the result was, apart from two happy and tired kids, not very noticeable. So I will have to be patient and wear it as often as possible.

DSC02872.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

Don´t mind the "gosts" :D
DSC02924.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

Thanks for looking

Mathias

bseal

Fits you well. :D

Regarding the break in, water, whether in a spray bottle or from a down pour, is by general consensus here considered a valuable aid.

Tommer45

Very nice jacket. Looks great. I am eagerly awaiting my Aero after seeing so many nice ones being posted lately (mostly at the FL).

The "happy jumper" thread was a fun read, but I can't see it doing too much to fqhh.

Best of luck with it and enjoy the break-in.

Tommer

A

Anonymous

What the deal with the lower left button it seems to be pulling the jacket ,is it sewn in the correct place .I do not think this is a size issue as I think it fits you well .

All the best Jeff .

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DUBOWA2 said:
What the deal with the lower left button it seems to be pulling the jacket ,is it sewn in the correct place .

It looks right, Jeff ... I think it's just that the hide is stiff, and in that pose with feet slightly apart.

For comfort in daily wear, I would probably leave the last one unbuttoned, and I'm sure that the jacket will just work itself out with a little use.

Codered

did you consider going with the single breasted version?...it looks great just wondering as I have been considering a mariner for quite some time.

lazar

Codered said:
did you consider going with the single breasted version?...it looks great just wondering as I have been considering a mariner for quite some time.

No, as I wrote the "Mariner" is for me the crossing between a WWI flight jacket and a WWII U-Boot Jacket. The jacket is intended to/and already is worn motorcycling. The double breast gives me enough windstopper quality and even helps the rain cept out (tested yesterday during a 30 minutes ride with the last 15 in a heavy rainshower (one step further in breaking in :) )).
I also like the look double breasted more than single.

BTW the lower button was only closed for the pictures otherwise I leave it open for the most time.

Mathias