• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AERO A2 42-18775-P in size 44

Roughwear

This A2 is from the 42-18775-P contract which was awarded to Aero on 25th May 1942. It may well be an early production jacket in this last Aero contract because the hh is seal spray finished over a russet aniline base as were most of the jackets from the two preceding contracts, AC 21996 and 42-15142 -P. It also has most of the same features of these two contracts, including the square cornered pockets (most of the 18775-P jackets had slightly rounded pocket corners).

The jacket originally had brown knits which had provided a hearty supper for a family of moths! The wristlets are reclaimed WW2 ones in perfect condition and the waistband is the best match I could find.

The leather is excellent throughout with no rot or repairs and it have a lovely vintage patina, which can't be replicated today. The triple-marked Talon zip works flawlessly. The inspector's stamp is still quite distinct.

As a size 44 it fits exactly the same as the 21996 which I photographed in this section of the forum earlier in 2011.

046-1.jpg

047-1.jpg

048-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-2.jpg

037-2.jpg

039-1.jpg

041-2.jpg

042-1.jpg

043-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

029-3.jpg

030-1.jpg

032-3.jpg

033-3.jpg

026-5.jpg

greyhound52

Very nicd HH alot like my original Monarch and I agree you can't reproduce 60 plus years of wear on the HH. Fit is spot on. Congrats.

saucerfiend

Andrew,
That original fits like it was custom made for you. I think it's your nicest fitting original. The graining and patina are spectacular! And you matched the knit color nicely, as well. Beautiful!

Brian

Roughwear

It's interesting that the seal top coat has largely worn off the back. Perhaps this was through regular contact with an aircraft seat.

Roughwear

greyhound52 said:
Very nicd HH alot like my original Monarch and I agree you can't reproduce 60 plus years of wear on the HH. Fit is spot on. Congrats.

I prefer the more generous fit of most wartime 44s. This Aero is one of my favourite originals and unlike many Aeros the hh is really robust so it can be worn from time to time without any worries. However I only wear repros on a daily basis.

A

Anonymous

hi Andrew,
is the lining original? shoul be
I have seen the same contract with much darker lining

dmar836

Perfect picks to convince me that JC is getting the right hides for sure! This original looks a lot like some of his newer jackets.
Andrew, great pick up for sure!

Stef

Andrew,

would you have some measurements of the jacket ?
especially width at the waist (just above the knit waist band),shoulder width, chest, and wind flap length ?

also would you say that patterns and fit of 21996, 15142, and 18775 are quite the same ?

thanks very much

----------------------
STEF

Roughwear

The patterns used for the 21996 and the 15142 appear to be almost identical. The variation comes with the 18775-P where on many jackets the pocket corners are more rounded and the collar points are sharper. I do not have the measurements for the 15142 contract as I have not owned one in a size 44. There were variations in size within contracts as well as between contracts. Here are the measurements taken from my 21996 and 18775 size 44 jackets.

21996 ................................................18775-P
Shoulders=19"...........................................19.25"
Back (from base of collar)=26"...................... .26"
armpit to armpit=23.75" ..............................24"
sleeve=25"...............................................25"
Front(along windflap) =22.75"....................... 23.25"
Waist=22"................................................23"

Stef

hmm...was comparing to the GW jackets i own, also in size 44, but other contracts. it's quite the same for shoulder width, jacket lenght, sleeves. but the Aero is larger in the chest and waist. is it typical of that 3 AERO contracts ?

-------------------
Stef

RCSignals

those differences are not that significant, and likely within the acceptable tolerance of the time, not considering changes age of the jackets/leather.

herk115

Andrew,

How are you lighting your photographs? Are you using available light, direct on-camera flash, or a more sophisticated studio lighting system? I ask because my own self-portraits of myself wearing my collection are quite lousy in comparison. And me with an education in photography!

Cheers,

Larry