• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero A-2 pocket snap issue

Cocker

Hey folks,

Just saw today that the leather around one of the pocket snap on my beloved Aero A-2 is starting to tear:

1657381980637.png

1657382024264.png

Do you know if there is any way to fix that? Or is the only way to stop snapping the pocket shut?

B-Man2

If it were mine I’d snap it closed and leave it alone. I try not to use the pockets on my A2’s for just that reason . As for having it repaired, if I lived in the UK I would probably send photos to Aero Scotland and let them advise on how to best deal with it, or just send them the jacket and let them repair it.

Silver Surfer

Aileens leather glue works wonders. apply with a tooth pick to the area around the snap, and to those flaking areas above. as Burt wrote, if the leather is compromised, it is best that the pocket remain closed or unsnapped.

ausreenactor

If it were mine I’d snap it closed and leave it alone. I try not to use the pockets on my A2’s for just that reason . As for having it repaired, if I lived in the UK I would probably send photos to Aero Scotland and let them advise on how to best deal with it, or just send them the jacket and let them repair it.
No more unsnapping.

I rarely do it beyond a tag check upon receipt...Or shopping lists. (Vic :) )

ties70

Thanks, folks!

Keeping it snapped is not an option as I use both pockets of my A-2 (cigs and lighter in one, work ID badge and a pocket comb in the damaged snap one), so I guess I'll try one of these glue and keep it unsnapped!

Or wait... Could that be a sign I need a new jacket...?

There are actually signs which tell you that one "needs" new jackets?!

I seem to buy them just on Impulse....

ausreenactor

Thanks, folks!

Keeping it snapped is not an option as I use both pockets of my A-2 (cigs and lighter in one, work ID badge and a pocket comb in the damaged snap one), so I guess I'll try one of these glue and keep it unsnapped!

Or wait... Could that be a sign I need a new jacket...?
At the very least!

YoungMedic

Try and fix it with adhesive but if that winds up not working see if you can do an age appropriate field riggers mod and install a snap head that goes through both layers of the pocket, not original but legitimate repair. It's what I'd do if I wore the piss out of mine

edit** maybe try and see if you can get some adhesive / epoxy behind the snap head in between the pocket layers before doing the edges, that way it's pulling on the outer flap of leather instead of pulling the snap head through

Kevin the Devon

It looks like when you lift the pocket flap all the stress is just in front of the press stud.

Could you make a 1.5/2" square patch with a hole in it for the press stud so stress is applied to both sides of the press stud. Thin leather, a piece of ribbon, thin plastic?

Just thinking and writing thoughts

flyincowboy

Look like an easy fix! if me i will have the flap unstitched... then get rid of the dot snap cut and glue a little piece of leather to reinforce the snap( inside the flap replace the dot) and have the flap re stitched in place using the same threads,

Last edited:

Cocker

Thank you, guys! I'll do a pit stop this week-end to a leather artisan not far from my place, he's doing tremendous work repairing horse riding boots and so on, I'll see what he thinks can be done also.