• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 1930s Halfbelt...not so serious and pic heavy review

JanSolo

Hello everybody,

this review was already posted in the Outerwear section of the FL but I thought I'd share it with you guys as well. Maybe it's of some interest...

This is my latest aquistion from Aero. It’s a 1930s Halfbelt. Only minor things were changed or added (see spec sheet). The most important change from the original design was to make front and back equally long. All in all it’s almost a standard jacket. It’s a size 40 and it is comparable in fit to a Café Racer which puts it among the slimmest fitting jackets in the Aero range (Café Racer, 1930s HB, M422a, A2 1938 contract).

Why haven’t I chosen FQHH? Just because Aero’s straight veg tanned goatskin is so beautiful (and versatile)! I’ve had about half a dozen of FQHH jackets in the past and I fully agree with HoosierDaddy and many others that Aero’s FQHH (Horween Chromexcel) is probably the most beautiful jacket leather that’s available. But somehow I’ve fallen for Aero’s uniquely thick and stiff goatskin. The hard wearing pebbly grain surface, the slightly mottled seal spray finish on milk chocolate base, the smell of herbal tanning agents (and goats!)…just beautiful!

I am 6 ft. even, have a 39-40 inch chest and currently weigh 155 lbs. As you can see the jackets fits me quite well. The body has the desired trim fit, but it’s not overly restrictive. There’s enough room for a slim fit shirt and a thin lambswool or merino sweater. The sleeves are slightly longer because I requested an inch more in sleeve length. I like them that way. Also goatskin seems to develop creases and folds more readily than HH. This will shorten the sleeves slightly. As you can see I have already applied the “spray mist” method to the sleeves and collar, because both were super stiff upon arrival. Now they are shaped more naturally.

The jacket was made by Vicki and I cannot praise enough how well made it is. All top stitching seams are true masterpieces and the selection of skins was carefully done according to my request to search for the thickest and densest skins available. This time I was so blown away by the quality of workmanship that I even called Aero to thank Vicki over the phone. (Normally I don’t do this as I think it’s kind of “schmalzig / schmaltzy”.)
Anyway, jacket: great. Fit: good. Versatility: excellent (matches most types of casual, vintage inspired clothing)…Weather: shit!
Still some detail shots and pics of me wearing it.
(Spec sheet at the end of this post)

First two pics show that a man is nothing without a good jacket. Just worthless bones and lumps of connective tissue:

Homo Neanderthalensis poses in front of a stone age camera, displaying his favourite leisure activities. However he will soon be extinct:

4975879915_c6e13e6dbf_z.jpg

He wonders what's inside the box... This may take a while and requires all his rather limited brain capacity.

4975879921_fd30e94018_z.jpg

With the help of a club he opened the box, and...ta-da! Evolution completed; Homo Sapiens Sapiens enters the stage.

4976020649_5b75ac89b9_z.jpg

4976020651_572390c065_z.jpg

4976020653_99565d0499_z.jpg

4976020659_683708141a_z.jpg

4976020663_6bc015d976_z.jpg

JanSolo

Re: Aero 1930s Halfbelt...not so serious and pic heavy revie

Part two of the review:

Some detail shots and close-ups:

4976370162_e5ecdef474_z.jpg

4975777365_9b0758d276_z.jpg

Double leather button cuffs

4976376220_ca132cd109_z.jpg

4976373268_c061415834_z.jpg

Olive Gabardine lining and leather strip at inside hem

4976379250_a0e52dd590_z.jpg

All pockets lined with heavy brown corduroy

4975770453_3697d4fd78_z.jpg

M422a style throat latch and contrast stitching. Note the mottled finish of the goatskin.

4975773687_4feb09ef1e_z.jpg

- Slim fitting 1930s Halbelt in seal goatskin. Please select the thickest and stiffest skins available.
- Size 40 with 1-1.5 inch added to sleeves, 2 inches added to body length.
-Front and back must have the same length.
-Double leather (leather lined) button cuffs
-Two slanted handwarmer pockets lined with heavy brown corduroy, one breast pocket with nickel ball and chain zip, one inside pocket in the facing with stud closure.
-Jacket should be lined with olive Gabardine (B10 cloth).
-“Hangar and two Airmen” label, please
-1-2 inch leather facing on the inside bottom hem.
-Collar with throat latch and button closure.
-Nickel AERO zip and nickel side buckles.
-The zipper should end 2 inches above the jacket’s hem.
-OD green thread for all seams
-Jacket to be made by Vicki

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Great jacket, and thanks for posting the review over here, Jan ... now if we could just duplicate those boot threads on the hat forum, we'd never have to leave VLJ.

bseal

Perhaps Aero will consider opening a separate division, Designs by Jan. Your amendments to their patterns are cogent and capitivating. Terrific shots too. Welcome to VLJ.

HHjackets

4976020663_6bc015d976_z.jpg

if you don't mind me saying so, the way the breast pocket creases, running down the front of the jacket, doesn't look good/right and it gets worse over time as the leather softens, i've seen it happen on quite a few of their jackets, even their front quarter horsehide.