• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 1756 with 'clincher' cuffs ?

gomez

Just arrived yesterday, purchased off the Bay. It's my first Aero, a 1756 contract in oil-pull HH, about 2 years old and in great shape. Chose it one size up and thrilled to say it fits me better than any A-2 I've owned before. The hide is thick and supple and I can move freely though it's not loose or baggy in any way. There's one problem though, there seems to be an elastic ring in the sleeve where the cuff joins it and it puts a squeeze on my wrists like a big rubber band. In fact its irritating if I keep on more than a few minutes. I was wondering if this a common trait with Aero cuffs or did I just get a tight one? I know the original owner ordered it with one extra inch in the sleeves. Thanks, if anyone has a fix I love to hear it!

gomez

Here's the best pic I have at the moment displaying the cuffs. Having a shirt cuff between my skin and the wool cuff helps a lot. The cuffs themselves are stripping the hairs from my wrists....

1756.jpg
[/img]

Mac

Gomez,

I have an Aero Anniversary in jerky seal. Occasionally, I get the same feeling in the right cuff of my jacket (on my left wrist, my watch stretches the cuff a bit). I think what you're feeling is the elastic quality of the wool wristlet/cuff. I've checked my cuffs, and there is no added elastic banding. The ring you feel is probably the leather folded over to finish the sleeve ends. Based on leather samples I have from Aero, the oil pull appears to be slightly thicker, so this might add to the sensation. I'm assuming you don't have Guinness record sized wrists. :) Knit tunneling also may add to this sensation.

Based on other A-2s I've had, I think the cuff will loosen with wear. My knit cuffs, while still nice and tight, are already have a nice profile. I prefer to have a tight knit cuff than one that looks and feels like a sock on my wrist.

More experienced forum members may have better advice.

Your new jacket looks good in the picture. Paddy can tell you how well oil pull hide ages and takes on the look of an original.

Cheers,

Mac

gomez

Thanks Mac- I checked them, they're manly sized wrists but not quite primate sized :). I think you're right and it's the cuffs themselves although the sleeve is pretty springy at the end. I may try sticking a tennis ball can in each overnight as I can't imagine them loosening up anytime soon on their own.

Andrew

Perhaps wetting them with hot water first then stuffing/ wearing them to dry. I've had luck that way.

gomez

Thanks, that's basically what I did except to use tennis ball cans in place of my wrists. Once dry, half the fight has gone out of the elastic and they lost the gorilla grip. The effect seems permanent so I'd be careful to use that method in stages if not sure how far to go.