• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice buying a flight jacket - John

leather209

Hey everyone and thanks for welcoming me!

I have been eyeing this secondhand flight jacket because of the leather pattern and overall look of it, but don't know if I should buy it or not. Fact is, I find it difficult to know anything about the brand or even if it's actual leather/shearling or not? Any advices on how to do that? Anyone who would be happy to share their thoughts on this potential purchase? :)

Thanks again,

John

Attachments

• Frontshot.jpeg
    Frontshot.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Shearlinginside.jpeg
    Shearlinginside.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Logo.jpeg
    Logo.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Capture d’écran 2023-04-27 à 14.20.06.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-04-27 à 14.20.06.png
    846.9 KB · Views: 100
  • zip.jpeg
    zip.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Collar.jpeg
    Collar.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Side.jpeg
    Side.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Capture d’écran 2023-04-27 à 14.20.12.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-04-27 à 14.20.12.png
    795.6 KB · Views: 92
  • grain.jpeg
    grain.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Endzip.jpeg
    Endzip.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 82

Brettafett

Rather look at Five Star, they make some decent sheepskin for the money.
Also, you could email Morten at AVI Leather, they are/were planning to release some sheepskin. But only he would know more about that.
They make great flight jackets, so any additions would be good.

Kermit3D

Hello and welcome!
It all depends on what you are looking for.
Most of us are vintage leather (but also fabric) flight jacket extremists.
Are you looking for an accurate reproduction of a flight jacket? Or are you looking for a nice looking jacket without necessarily being a replica of an existing jacket?

I would say in any case: "No Go" on the jacket you present to us... nothing seems to be good, or of correct quality.

Tell us more about what you are looking for. We should be able to help you find a MUCH better jacket, even if you have a limited budget (well... 200-300$ seems to be a minimum).

leather209

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies, this has proved to be very helpful already! I will follow your advices and give it a pass then. :)

As to what I am looking for, the flight jacket is a second choice, my primary search being for a leather jacket (dark brown or slightly burgundy) in a simple style. I appreciate the "cafe racer" models for instance. I had a look at AVI leather's website based upon Brettafet's recommendations and their "half-belt jacket" is exactly what I am looking for (https://www.avileather.com/product/halfbelt-horsehide-leather-jacket/) just in a brown colour, some FiveStar models look good too. I have also found a good looking model from "Blauer" (see picture attached). With regards to budget, anything above 400/500€ would be too high at the moment. Also worth noting that I live in France so some American companies might be a bit difficult to work with due to shipping/tax/returns issues.

Thanks a lot guys

John

Attachments

• Blauer.jpeg
    Blauer.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 98

Brettafett

Another good thing about the above choices, the jacket will be new, and you could return for a refund or change to a different size.
Ive ordered two of the same jackets in the past, to try for fit, and then kept the one that fit best. Returns, refunds and exchanges are easy with AVI.
Also, if you need slight adjustments to lengths, sleeve length etc, email marten Im sure he can accommodate you.

mulceber

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies, this has proved to be very helpful already! I will follow your advices and give it a pass then. :)

As to what I am looking for, the flight jacket is a second choice, my primary search being for a leather jacket (dark brown or slightly burgundy) in a simple style. I appreciate the "cafe racer" models for instance. I had a look at AVI leather's website based upon Brettafet's recommendations and their "half-belt jacket" is exactly what I am looking for (https://www.avileather.com/product/halfbelt-horsehide-leather-jacket/) just in a brown colour, some FiveStar models look good too. I have also found a good looking model from "Blauer" (see picture attached). With regards to budget, anything above 400/500€ would be too high at the moment. Also worth noting that I live in France so some American companies might be a bit difficult to work with due to shipping/tax/returns issues.

Thanks a lot guys

John
Sounds like you've found what you're looking for then. I'd get in touch with Morten. He has a bunch of different leather colors. I'm sure he could arrange to make the halfbelt in their seal-brown horsehide, the same color used on this jacket: https://www.avileather.com/product/bronco-a2-flight-jacket-horsehide/

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

If I was in your shoes, living in Europe and wanting a decent jacket without breaking the bank, I would also be heading directly to AVI. What I would not be doing is touching that monstrosity in the original post with two barge poles tied together. How much better than that you can do cannot be comprehended. Good luck with it.

leather209

Hey everyone! Thanks a lot, I think I will go with the half-belt from AVI in a dark seal brown in goat leather if that is "allowed" by Morten (fingers crossed because I love the grain on that leather). I haven't been able to find pictures/reviews of people who bought AVI's half-belt so if anyone has any info on size/fit I'd be happy to hear that. Regardless, I will get in touch with AVI with regards to sizing and other details. I will be sure to post a picture or two once I get it (not sure when that'd be). Once again thanks for your help and all the best to this lovely community you've got here :)

John