• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actual value versus listed value

cgreen

Hi All,

With any luck the day is winding down where you and the weekend is beginning.

I've got a question about value that I'd like everyone's thought on. If you spend any time looking around for vintage jackets you'll inevitably land on Etsy or eBay, which can be maddening experiences. I've seen the same vintage jacket three times with prices of $49, $149, and $219, and all three sellers gave their respective jackets the "Rare Find" designations. How rare can they be if there are literally three of them listed at the same time?

With that in mind is there a baseline standard you all know about? Does a simple, clean Brooks cafe racer from the 1970s go for X? Or does a classic cross-zip from Schott run Y? I know there are obviously variations and subtleties to contend with but my guess is the sellers are not familiar enough with the nuances to adjust their prices accordingly. I'm finding it difficult to know what the value actually is.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'd love to hear anecdotes and what the solution is. Thanks much, looking forward to the thoughts. Enjoy the weekend.

CG

Silver Surfer

I think ya nailed it. Prices are all over the place, and ultimately what a buyer will buy the item for. If it’s 1950s or earlier, the price structure will depend on rarity, size, condition, etc.

warguy

Condition is definitely a determining factor, at least with vintage military jackets. A B-15 with tattered cuffs, stains and frays in the sleeves might sell for $150, when a mint one could fetch $1200-$1400. Certainly size also counts towards the sales price, and as most know, wearable sizes 40 and larger (especially larger) will typically demand more than smaller sizes like a 36. I know I know, all of you are thinking “thanks Captain obvious”. But seriously, the example on the B15 above is from recent experience, and the $1200 B-15 jacket was a size 38 to boot!

B-Man2

All three of the above responses are spot on and play important roles in the seller determining the resale price of his particular jacket that he wants to sell . There’s also the “shoot for the stars mentality” where some sellers place ridiculously high prices on their jackets in hopes of snagging a person who has been looking for that particular jacket and is willing to pay whatever the price is to acquire it . Prices are like the tides .. they rise and fall depending on the all of the above listed factors . Patience is the one thing that the seller can’t control. If the buyer is patient a great jacket at a reasonable price will come along .
Cheers

JonnyCrow

Condition is definitely a determining factor, at least with vintage military jackets. A B-15 with tattered cuffs, stains and frays in the sleeves might sell for $150, when a mint one could fetch $1200-$1400. Certainly size also counts towards the sales price, and as most know, wearable sizes 40 and larger (especially larger) will typically demand more than smaller sizes like a 36. I know I know, all of you are thinking “thanks Captain obvious”. But seriously, the example on the B15 above is from recent experience, and the $1200 B-15 jacket was a size 38 to boot!
Exactly true, here in Spain a guy is selling a very decent original BobRich B15 for 350 euros, size 38 I'd say at least 80-90 percent decent at some point waist knit replaced but complete with original conmar zipper, at that price point, if I didn't already have a vintage b15 I'd have snapped it up

cgreen

This is all great information, I appreciate everyones' thoughts. It's maddening as a potential buyer because you want to make a nice deal but determining the value if you're unfamiliar with the piece can be tricky. I find as well that even with the abundance of information online, sellers oftentimes seem to feel that the value of their piece is higher than it should be. As to size being a determinant, I agree with that as well, but I'm seeing men's small size jackets going for outrageous prices just because a seller says that's what it's worth.

If you're looking for women's jackets it's trickier still given the fact that most of the military and moto pieces were originally made for men - there simply aren't as many women's jackets available.

Sigh.

Ever forward. Enjoy the weekend everyone, and thank you again for the thoughtful responses. CG

CombatWombat

For me it's about waiting and waiting....
Because I have orangutan like arms compared with my overall height I kinda get lucky because I catch all the sellers flogging off the "this is waaaaay too long for my arms!" jackets
I tend to find that if you're going for military and law enforcement jackets you tend to find the smaller sizes (44 and below) more cheaply and frequently than the larger sizes due to them being issued out more

cgreen

The hunt is actually half the fun. Are you like me in that you hunt and hunt, finally find a great piece, make the purchase and then you're immediately on the hunt again? Surely I can't be alone in this, am I?