• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About genuine USAF N2B parka

eamenos

Hi everybody,

Wanna purchase a genuine USAF N2b jacket made by Alpha Industries from the 70s, with Scovill zippers and syntethic fur. AF/615-37720 contract .

Winters in my zone are cold with dry winds, temperatures can get down to 14°F. Could anybody tell me the experience into the cold weathers of that parka? Is the same as the N3b? (longer version). All your responses would be welcome, it seems to be a very warm jacket. Thanks.

B-Man2

Hi Eamenos
I’m lucky in that I have both jackets in my collection . I can tell you that when the temps are down to 14degrees F . I would definitely opt for the longer N3B . With the shorter N-2b I literally freeze my ass off . The N-2b was made to wear with insulated flight pants as a set . So was the N-3b, but this jacket functions ok without the pants in cold weather, whereas the N-2B sort of leaves your rear end exposed . That’s my take on it .
Cheers
PS … By the way I live in Florida now, so I only use one jacket or the other when I travel up north . But they’re still a nice collectable pieces of military kit .

bn1966

I really like these and they can be purchased for cheap, IMHO a much overlooked flight jacket. I have three: an Alpha version from the 90’s with lightweight insulation and white synthetic fur on hood, a much heavier 70’s model with real fur on hood and an N-2A. Perfect for what we would call ‘cold’ in the UK winter teamed with jeans or chinos. Could see the need elsewhere for the longer fit N-3B, I did have one once over here and it was ‘too warm’ even standing still in minus temps so I sold it.

MikeyB-17

Yeah I had a ’65 N-3B, weighed a ton, probably great for Arctic flying (which is what it was designed for), but too hot for day to day wear in Cornwall. Way hotter than a B-3. Perhaps I should have tried it in the Winter. ;)

eamenos

What I've seen in the jacket is that there's no DSA number. There is the contract number AF/615-37720. Made in USA is not written in the label. In the 80's models, DLA number is present. I attach the label of the jacket I would like to buy. Is it a genuine usaf product? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-110716_Vinted.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-110716_Vinted.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 140

B-Man2

Alpha made several commercial versions of both the N-2n and the N-3b jackets . The N-2b I currently have is an issued military one . A photo of the label is attached below . One thing that is noticeable about the military jacket is that the hood has a flexible plastic waterproof layer sewn into both sections of the hood making it waterproof for the wearer.
C98BB20E-A2CB-41CE-BA0A-F5B0E0741ECA.jpeg

eamenos

Alpha made several commercial versions of both the N-2n and the N-3b jackets . The N-2b I currently have is an issued military one . A photo of the label is attached below . One thing that is noticeable about the military jacket is that the hood has a flexible plastic waterproof layer sewn into both sections of the hood making it waterproof for the wearer.
View attachment 69036
Do you think that the jacket I ask for is a military issue or commercial version?

B-Man2

Do you think that the jacket I ask for is a military issue or commercial version?
I’m not able to tell because the photo of the label is blurry and I can’t read the details on it. That’s why I posted the photo of my label so you could compare the two .

bn1966

I had a service issued 90’s N-2B from Alpha and then purchased a same period civilian version. Only difference I could find apart from the labelling was the Civvy version was cut slightly longer (which worked for me with non military pants). Civvy and service jackets appeared identical quality.