• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 shoulder fit

Falcon_52

I prefer the shoulders to be squared-up (with high armholes in the body too). It makes for a comfortable fit.

Noel

better duck

definitely as squared up as possible without becoming uncomfortable. My GW Dubow in 46 fits the bill perfectly.

Dr H

Hi

I certainly prefer the profile of squared, well-fitting shoulders rather than drooping epaulettes. Regardless of the relative merits of different reproductions (and I don't want to open a fresh can of worms with this thread :roll: as I know which I favour), the adherence to the original pattern, as near as can be achieved, is key.

The cut of the armholes is an extremely important factor in terms of fit and comfort. My previous experience with an authentic Perry Sportswear A2 W535 AC-23377 contract (modest size 40, when I am more like a 41) was of a jacket that was very trim in the shoulders but also had high, tight armholes in the body too (making this a little uncomfortable in everyday use for my body shape/size). My current GW Doniger is a 42 and is just a tad more accommodating in the shoulder/armhole without being too big; it makes for a much comfortable fit and sharper, shirt-like silhouette allowing modest layering if required, but nothing bulky.

On the other hand, I preferred the narrower sleeve of the Perry, which was much more conventional in form and closer fitting (along the entire length). The unusual construction of the Doniger (with rotated seams and inset sleeves) makes for a slightly 'bowed' arm and consequently the upper arm of the Doniger is extremely comfortable to wear but has a distinctly wider profile - although not mutton leg by any means. It's less form fitting, unless you have a well developed bicep/upper arm - and this isn't going to happen with an academic, unless you count marking scripts :lol:...

RAYMUNDO

I think we all agree that squared up shoulders give a better, more military appearance than the droopy looking ones. I understand that youths prefer the droopy epaulets for the mod, rad look. Not for me and one of the reasons I have never owned Avirex jackets. Interestingly, the current issue Air Force A-2 has more room in the shoulder area and hence a slight droop in the epaulets unless you are broad shouldered. The jacket is cut larger to accomodate modern sizes and is made by Cockpit (formerly Avirex). Figures.

Ray

Burnsie

Yes, squared up.
On another note I just read that Lost Worlds will not provide "shoulder width" measurements because, they say, there is no such thing and it misleads clients.

Huh?!?

Robman

It's kind of true about the shoulder to shoulder measurement as it can be quite misleading. Many don't like or shy away from Dubows as they tend to have a narrow shoulder across measurement. What they don't take into account is the armhole opening and the upper sleeves.

In other words what good is a wide shoulder to shoulder measurement if the armhole and sleeves are narrow. The fit will be uncomfortable depending on your shape. If the sleeve tops are fuller and the armhole slightly more generous then a jacket with narrower shoulder measurement may actually provide a more comfortable/better fit.

A

Anonymous

Burnsie said:
Yes, squared up.
On another note I just read that Lost Worlds will not provide "shoulder width" measurements because, they say, there is no such thing and it misleads clients.

Huh?!?

What do you expect from the worlds #1 maker of jackets ,that no other jacket compares to ! :lol:

Rgds Jeff