• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 knits vs. G1 knits

Doug C

I'm less versed on the G1 than I am on the A2 (and that's not saying too much), but can someone help explain the basic diffence in the knits used on these jackets. The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that the G1 knits were a slightly longer in general and possibly a little snugger fitting around the cuff (for less tunnelling) than the basic A2 cuffs. If that's the case, I was thinking this might be an option for getting more length out of a jacket with shorter sleeves (and body for that matter).

Curahee

The cuffs a similar to the A-2, the waistbands have a hight of about 3.5-4 " and the 40's-50's and early 60's had of course the typical rib-rack single ply type knit which later changed to the 2 ply folded type. Also the colour is less reddish and more a dull/greyish dark brown.

Doug C

Thanks curahee, so as far as you know the cuff length is no longer than the A2 ones ? And, from what you've written the double layer waistband is slightly longer ? (A2's being 3", right?) . thanks again.

bobbyball

Doug C said:
Thanks curahee, so as far as you know the cuff length is no longer than the A2 ones ? And, from what you've written the double layer waistband is slightly longer ? (A2's being 3", right?) . thanks again.

I have a few vintage G-1s and would say the cuff knits are slightly deeper than A-2 knits. Particularly on the pre 1960s knits they appear to have more stretch than the A-2. The M422a I have exhibit particularly stretchy and deeper knits.

Doug C

Interesting... so yea, if one wasn't bothered by the slight color difference and wanted a little extra length on an A2 or whatever, these G1 knits may be an option. I have seen jackets posted here at VLJ with mismatched (colored) knits, now I'm wondering if this was the reason and that they were made for a different contracted jacket... one jacket that sticks out in my head was posted by Bevan quite some time back. Anyway, I'll post pics if and when I install some..and I may. Thanks for the info guys.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
... one jacket that sticks out in my head was posted by Bevan quite some time back.

Pale, first contract, Werber knits.

If you don't need a lot of extra length, it would be easiest to install a replacement set of A-2 cuffs, with a reduced seam allowance.