• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 fit

Pa12

Must have sucked to be that tall in the 40’s
CD6CE6E1-A0C5-46AF-9BB8-59091A519ACE.jpeg

mulceber

Yep, one of the design flaws of the A-2 is that the larger sizes didn't really differ from the smaller sizes in their length/sleeve length measurements. The manufacturers seemed to think 46 and above were A-2s for tubby people, instead of linebackers.

Pa12

And that’s standing up with his arms at his sides. Will only get worse from there.

Chandler

If you read "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo," or any of the books on the Doolittle Raid, you'll find talk of that airman being an extraordinarily large man.

Pa12

Can’t help but think a custom cut jacket for someone so brave is the least they could do. The greatest generation is an understatement.

Pa12

Ouch. Big guy. Regardless of his height, he looks bigger then a 40. Especially when that’s closer to a modern 38.

mulceber

Ouch. Big guy. Regardless of his height, he looks bigger then a 40. Especially when that’s closer to a modern 38.

Two different people - Silver Surfer's referring to Jimmy Stewart the actor, who served in the European theater (8th AF) and was pretty lanky. Here's a picture:
jimmy-stewart-wwii-3.jpg

Jimmy's jacket looks well-fitted compared to that Doolittle Raider's.

Pa12

I can see that. Very tall and slim. I guess all these guys had more important things on their plates then how their jackets fit. And because of that generation we have the luxury of complaining about how ours fit.

Pa12

Two different people - Silver Surfer's referring to Jimmy Stewart the actor, who served in the European theater (8th AF) and was pretty lanky. Here's a picture:
jimmy-stewart-wwii-3.jpg

Jimmy's jacket looks well-fitted compared to that Doolittle Raider's.

Pa12

Awesome. Exactly what a Hollywood star commanding a b-24 should look like. My favourite jimmy Stewart movie is flight of the Phoenix.

Pa12

I believe so. I think he stayed in the reserves and retired a brig. General if I’m not mistaken.

Pa12

As big as the roughwear collar is, his looks even bigger. Maybe they used the same size collar for all sizes , so the smaller the jacket the bigger the collar looks.