• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 fit question (yes another one )

rob20uk

Just a quick question. Have you guys any thoughts on the fit for this A2?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

IMG_9924.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9927.jpeg

IMG_9925.jpeg

IMG_9928.jpeg

B-Man2

Have to agree with Smithy on this one . I personally think many of us have a tendency to like trim fitting jackets that you can only wear a t-shirt under , when in fact many period photos show flyers wearing long underwear , heavy wool shirts with ties , sweaters , and then coveralls over all that.
Well no wonder the jacket looks trim !
I think your jacket looks ok. Put a sweat shirt on under it or a sweater and watch it trim right out .

mulceber

Have to agree with Smithy on this one . I personally think many of us have a tendency to like trim fitting jackets that you can only wear a t-shirt under , when in fact many period photos show flyers wearing long underwear , heavy wool shirts with ties , sweaters , and then coveralls over all that.
Well no wonder the jacket looks trim !
I think your jacket looks ok. Put a sweat shirt on under it or a sweater and watch it trim right out .
Yep, there's a reason so many of them could still wear the jacket 50 years later, and it isn't that they were the same size that they were at 20 years old.

Last edited:

CK90

Looks bang on to me, room for a sweater which in my book is an absolute non-negotiable for a leather jacket, particularly ones that cost significant amounts of money such as an ELC like this. Admittedly, I fall in the slightly fuller fitting appreciation camp. I think we often forget about context with A-2 jackets - people wore significantly wider trousers back in the 30's/40's, so everything looked balanced in an outfit, very elegant actually - just have a look back at period photos of pilots - A-2's always worn with beautiful drapey full cut trousers . We won't get into the slim vs wide debate today, save that for another time.

Bottom line, looks fantastic to me.

Greg Gale

Looks great to me. Slightly on the roomier side of the scale, but if you look at all the original photos posted here you'll find that A-2s were worn even baggier/ blousier than yours. So it's ultimately down to how it feels when you wear it. Do you like to layer underneath? Like a sweater or something? Does it feel big and does the leather get in the way? Or does it feel comfortable?

Can you post photos of the other contract you mentioned for the sake of comparison?

rob20uk

Cheers to the members who’ve noted similar experiences with A2 jackets. It seems the consensus is that WW2 A2 flight jackets were indeed crafted to be a touch roomy, offering ample freedom for movement and the option to don additional layers beneath. The upper torso is typically afforded a bit more give, and a gentle drop in the shoulders is not uncommon, lending a more relaxed fit over a crisply tailored silhouette. My jacket does embody this authentic design, aligning with the classic style we've discussed. Considering that Eastman’s sizing recommendations for my height and weight also suggest this size, I’ve decided to keep this jacket as my more authentic, comfortable option for layering. The fit may be slightly blousier, and the shoulders a tad looser, but if it’s snug and allows ease of movement, it's a spot-on match for the A2’s original fit. I also have a more trim A2 from Eastman so I get the best of both worlds really

rob20uk

Looks great to me. Slightly on the roomier side of the scale, but if you look at all the original photos posted here you'll find that A-2s were worn even baggier/ blousier than yours. So it's ultimately down to how it feels when you wear it. Do you like to layer underneath? Like a sweater or something? Does it feel big and does the leather get in the way? Or does it feel comfortable?

Can you post photos of the other contract you mentioned for the sake of comparison?
This is the other Eastman contract I have. Not sure off the top of my head what it is, you can see it’s a lot trimmer yet the same size.

IMG_9932.jpeg
IMG_9933.jpeg
IMG_9934.jpeg
IMG_9935.jpeg
IMG_9936.jpeg

johnwayne

Your original post begs the question of why you ask! Both jackets look good to my mind but it really comes down to what feels good when wearing them.
My first A2 is an ELC house 42” from early 90’s, too droopy shoulders maybe but fit feels good, second is my original Dubow 27798 44” that’s poss a tad short in sleeves yet it feels great simply because it’s an original!! Then there’s my GW Doniger 44” that just feels the best in all respects and I can’t fault it, as I’ve said here so many times!!!
I did once own an ELC 1401 and despite fitting me fine, just never felt right - the collar bugged me as seemed too big and the leather felt stiff albeit supple enough and if you sat down whilst it was zipped it felt most awkward and uncomfortable!!!!
As said, both yours looks fine IMO.

B-Man2

So .. here’s a question for you …
What’s the climate like where you live ?
Here’s why I’m asking . If you live in an area that is predominantly warm 7 or 8 months a year … then the trim jacket will probably be your jacket of choice , however if you in a climate that’s cold for 7 or 8 , then you’ll be happy to have the larger looser jacket that you can layer under and will get more wear. So where do you live ?