• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 epaulette placement - centered or off center?

Chandler

@Chandler do you have photos of what you mean by 'roll' on poorer reproductions?
I dug around on the internet, but there aren't a lot of fit-pics, so it's difficult to find an example.

However... I found a past discussion at TFL that has some good examples. Scroll to post #23 for a good image.

There's also a link to the Acme Depot where Marc brings up the bad construction:
"One other characteristic which is often misrepresented by poorer replicas is the point of attachment of the back to the front pieces at the shoulder. Some replicas place this seam too far forward on top of the shoulder. Since the back edge of the epaulets is coincident with this seam, this construction often places the epaulets not on top of the shoulder, as with an authentic A-2, but falling forward off of the shoulder. This simply looks wrong if not altogether comical."

Right. And that Acme Depot post was the one that made me curious because of the jacket manufacturers that I listed above, the vast majority have a slight forward roll.

But as @mulceber notes with his Dubow photos, it seems that even some of the WW2 ones had it as well.

Chandler

But as @mulceber notes with his Dubow photos, it seems that even some of the WW2 ones had it as well.
Not like this:
hQkvLuG.jpg

Chandler

Well, talking about epaulette placement then need to take a look at some of the Werber jackets which tended to roll over from front to back. Here is one example;View attachment 124249
I don't find that design as shoddy (comical?) looking as the modern mis-cut eps that look like they're stitched like name tags.

Then again, maybe it's just ol' Happy's physique -- he never liked the A-2 -- maybe because it didn't fit him right. ;)

Chandler

Well at least Hap has far better posture than the dude wearing the Eastman!
I'm not so sure that's true posture or just how the jacket makes the wearer look. I'm also not sure that's really an ELC -- the FL poster says it's an early Eastman, but he doesn't show any proof.

Never seen an Eastman with weird shoulders like that, have you? The three I've owned were/are very square.