• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 epaulette placement - centered or off center?

Howdy all!

During my research I've noticed that the 'very high end' A2 reproductions (Buzz Rickson, Aero, Goodwear, etc...) have the shoulder seam back-of-enter with the trailing edge of the epaulette touching the seam and therefore centered directly over the shoulder. I've also noticed that because of this placement, the epaulettes tend to be visible from the rear of the wearer and also that they tend to 'bow' up a little.

On the other hand, it seems that the majority of mid-range A2 reproductions (Five Star, Headwind, Cockpit USA, US Wings, Gibson & Barnes) place the shoulder seam directly over the shoulders with the trailing edge of the epaulette also touching the seam, but causing the epaulette to roll forward slightly. This usually means that the epaulettes can't be seen from the rear of the wearer but that they do tend to be wear flatter and not 'bow' up like on the higher end reproductions.

I've also noticed that the issued A2 jackets (Excelled Leather, United Sheepskin, etc...) follow a similar trend to the mid-range reproductions.

And yet I've also seen higher-end reproductions (Lost Worlds, for example) that follow the mid-range example of slightly canted epaulettes and I've also seen some old(er) A2's that do this as well.

I understand that this design difference is a bit of a point of contention among forum members and I'm wondering what some of you have to say about this. Do we know why this design change happened? Is it purely cost and materials? Or is there another reason? And, does anyone know when this change occurred, ie: during the 1980s when the USAF started re-issuing A2's from Avirex or Cooper?

Thanks!

mulceber

Howdy all!

During my research I've noticed that the 'very high end' A2 reproductions (Buzz Rickson, Aero, Goodwear, etc...) have the shoulder seam back-of-enter with the trailing edge of the epaulette touching the seam and therefore centered directly over the shoulder. I've also noticed that because of this placement, the epaulettes tend to be visible from the rear of the wearer and also that they tend to 'bow' up a little.

On the other hand, it seems that the majority of mid-range A2 reproductions (Five Star, Headwind, Cockpit USA, US Wings, Gibson & Barnes) place the shoulder seam directly over the shoulders with the trailing edge of the epaulette also touching the seam, but causing the epaulette to roll forward slightly. This usually means that the epaulettes can't be seen from the rear of the wearer but that they do tend to be wear flatter and not 'bow' up like on the higher end reproductions.

I've also noticed that the issued A2 jackets (Excelled Leather, United Sheepskin, etc...) follow a similar trend to the mid-range reproductions.

And yet I've also seen higher-end reproductions (Lost Worlds, for example) that follow the mid-range example of slightly canted epaulettes and I've also seen some old(er) A2's that do this as well.

I understand that this design difference is a bit of a point of contention among forum members and I'm wondering what some of you have to say about this. Do we know why this design change happened? Is it purely cost and materials? Or is there another reason? And, does anyone know when this change occurred, ie: during the 1980s when the USAF started re-issuing A2's from Avirex or Cooper?

Thanks!
There's a slight problem with how you're approaching this: you're assuming that ALL of the high-end makers do X while all of the originals do Y. In reality, GW, Eastman, Buzz Rickson, etc. will center the epaulet over the shoulder seam or put it in front of the seam, depending on which contract they're reproducing. Some of the originals put the seam over the shoulder seam, and some put it in front - it was purely at the discretion of the person at the (original) company who was making the patterns.

Chandler

JMO (and there are plenty on this forum), but epaulettes on an A-2 (or any jacket) should be square on top of the shoulders.

Rolling forward or backward (something I've never seen myself) just looks shoddy.

mulceber

Both of these are GW:
GW 18091
epaulet.jpg

GW 18777-P
epaulet_seam.jpg

mulceber

But they both sit square on the shoulder(s), right?

No roll forward (or backward) as mentioned in the OP.
It seems like the OP is talking about two different phenomena - whether the epaulettes sit on the shoulder seam or in front of it, and the issue of whether they sit squarely on the shoulders. On that second one, I don't have much of an opinion - all the originals and repros I've owned have sat on the shoulder.

Okay. So if that is the case, then why do all the contemporary versions have the epaulettes slightly rolled forward?

You see it in, I would argue, every mid-range manufacturer.

Silver Surfer

in original some contracts they are directly over the seam, on others they are on front of the seam. the only place I haven't seen them placed is where the pockets should be. plenty of wonky epaulet placements on originals. oh, and than there's the stitching.....

Fair enough! What I was trying to get at was that I thought I noticed a trend in contemporary reproductions where the epaulettes were slightly rolled forward compared to the WW2 variation, maybe a few degrees at most.

On the other hand, after opening this can of worms, I've come to realize that the only consistency with regard to A2's... is inconsistency!

Chandler

What I was trying to get at was that I thought I noticed a trend in contemporary reproductions where the epaulettes were slightly rolled forward compared to the WW2 variation, maybe a few degrees at most.
You weren't seeing things, but it's mostly prominent in the very cheaply manufactured "repros." (I hesitate to even call them that)

mulceber

After a bit of digging, apparently original Broncos have the rolled forward epaulettes, and Dubows to a lesser degree. But yeah, the overwhelming majority of manufacturers showed more care in how they constructed these jackets.