• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a travis bickle jacket?

Tim P

I thnk I may do an Alpha M65 or possibly an ATF Tanker (less likely) with a pair of patches easily had through ebay. Question is, in the film does de niro have the character name stencilled on the back of the jackets he wears? is it TOO cheesy to add that?
interested in opinions on that and also which jacket would be better to use..

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
is it TOO cheesy to add that?

I think so, Tim.

Perhaps you could compromise ... leave the back plain, and just get the haircut. :p

travisbickle.jpg

Tim P

I have that haircut already. in reverse sadly. Yes I may put the patches on for fun but to fully replicate the jacket may be over the top.

Tim P

I think the m65 is plain at the back anyhow? I cant find my dvd. have the case but the disc has gone astray.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
I think the m65 is plain at the back anyhow? I cant find my dvd. have the case but the disc has gone astray.

Yes, I think it's plain, so that's easy ... and the M-65 would be my choice.

asiamiles

Yes, only the Tanker has the stencil on the back. Buzz Rickson's do the Tanker complete with patches and stencil, while Real McCoys do both the Tanker (commercial version with quilted lining...not sure if anyone has a pic that shows the lining of De Niro's jacket in the film?) and the Field Jacket, the latter complete with "We are the People" badge! I like the "King Kong" patch but would prefer not to have the "Bickle.T" stencil (just like having a "V. Hilts" nametag on an A-2) on the back so personally I'd probably go with the Field Jacket or assemble my own Tanker. Not sure how good the patches sold on eBay are...interestingly BR's and RM's KK patches are slightly different. MASH also do the patches, but comparing them BR's are slightly better quality.

Tim P

I think that recreating iconic jackets is a bit of fun, to be done a bit tongue in cheek. a current UK fasion is M65 'Inspired' jackets with hokey badges on them. got me to thinking that this could be a good way to ape that without going down the regulaion patching route.

jack aranda

Hello, Tim:
I do like that KK patch. Humor and attitude in one colorful circle.
As I live in SF, I see dozens of scroungy Travis Bickles everyday on my bus ride to work (the bus goes through the Haight Ashbury). Not even in jest would I want to look like those cats, or like Travis. Here, I'm exercising my perogatives as a full-fledged 'geezer', order of the curmudgeon, 1st class :D .

But, I do like the black M-65 a lot and bought one yesterday. Tip of the hat to Pattern Recognition by Wm. Gibson, and Buzz Rickson's collection in homage to Gibson. Since I can't afford $500 for a BR M-65, I bought a cheapo Alpha at a local surplus store. Got a nice post-modern Euro vibe (whatever that is :lol: ) and is a nice alternative to leather jackets when I want to 'fly below the radar'.

Tim P

maybe it is a bit naff. Never saw one in the UK and like I say, oddly badged combat style jackets are quite normal. I may not bother all things considered. Film inspired jackets are a fine line taste wise, not that I would slate the indiana jones hjacket on this forum..

movie jackets...

wonder if a satin 'pink ladies' jacket can be had in XL. :eek:

watchmanjimg

I watched Taxi Driver last night and was thinking of you guys. Both jackets looked great, albeit of dubious accuracy, and I'd love to know the story behind the patches. The wings resemble the USN parachutist type which some Marines wear, though I've never seen them on an oval background. The King King Company is anybody's guess, but again it's a great design.

Congrats on your purchase, Jack! I've had a black Alpha M-65 for over 20 years, and I haven't worn it for nearly as long. As I recall it's still in pretty good shape. I wore an unpatched OG-107 '81 Winfield M-65 during my college years, and if it ever gets cold enough down here I'd have no problem wearing it again. I have several "project" M-65s in the pipeline that I plan to adorn with my own nametapes and unit patch, so in a way they may be considered Bickle-ish. However, the rest of my attire and conventional haircut will surely moderate the overall look.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that early in the film Scorsese is sitting outside the Palantine campaign headquarters as Cybill Shepherd walks in? His cameo appearance as the jealous husband later on is well documented, but I hadn't previously known of his other scene.

Tim P

yup. In praise of the plain M65.. less is more perhaps will let you all know if i take the plunge. I have a black one too which could be left plain.
DeNiro wears an m65 post discharge in the deer hunter. cant remember whether it is plain or no..
Of course, for the want of a 'waving' US flag patch I could replicate the example in first blood.. ;) getting silly now. Set off with some redwings,lol.

watchmanjimg

The writeup on the original outfit is amusing. I always felt that the implication that Bickle is a disillusioned Vietnam veteran was poorly developed in the film, and here they act as if it's a given. For the life of me I can't recall the word "Vietnam" uttered even once in Taxi Driver, though apparently Palantine mentions it during a speech.