• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a question of Mouton

RCSignals

This was inspired by the ATF 20% off sale post.

About their B10 they state
The collars are mouton whereas originals used shearling. (Shearling still has the skin on the back.)

Does mouton still not retain the 'fur' on the skin? Mouton being 'processed' for a certain look and feel, and often coloured, Shearling being the natural wool/fur still on the skin, and cut to an even length?

dmar836

Mouton is finished to look like seal. The hide on the back is just like the unfinished hide of a B-7 or "white" B-3 except it is dark from the dying process. Over time, some mouton starts to curl and bunch like blonde fleece.

Dave

Atticus

As I understand it, mouton is the skin of a sheep that has been sheared...but before being slaughtered, the animal's fur has been allowed to regrow a half inch or so. Yes, the skin remains, but it is unfinished.

Shearling is sheepskin with the sheep's mature, curly fur still on, and the skin is finished.

AF

A

Anonymous

Honestly, I am 6'4" tall, 230lbs. I know the item description states, a fuller cut after size 44, I purchased a 48 as I normally do. The jacket fit like a sack, I could fit to of me inside. Did a shrinking process, as shipping back and forth would not be worth the cost. The jacket is still ill fitting. My chest is 48, shoulder 20, waist 36. Anyway, the additional thickness of the lining is comfortable, but does not allow for a more military cut in my opinion (IT'S LIKE HAVING A FUR LINING). I have also owned two Spearhead B-10's, and find the fit, and quality of sewing, and materials superior to the ATF.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: POSTED THIS TO THE WRONG THREAD SORRY :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

dmar836

Well, the alpaca lining is different. Mouton is just the collar material.
I doubt either of those two companies use actual skins. Likely faux mouton and certainly faux alpaca. Come to think of it, ,my original AAF parkas(those I can see into the lining of) appear to be artificial alpaca. Maybe it's just the way it is bonded to woven material?