• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question and a picture the 512th Fighter Squadron

A

Anonymous

DSCN4274.jpg
RSCN4273.jpg
Decided I liked the bulldog on the plane so I used the design on this patch. In looking thru Maurer and Maurer I noticed a different insignia, was this one an unauthorized design of the mascot "Grump" the dog?

TankBuster

One of the pilots in the squadron had a Bulldog named Andy. He became the squadrons mascot and the image on their squadron patch was made after him. Below is photo of a A-2 jacket I used to own with the original patch. I'm not sure if it was technically authorized, but it was used among all the pilots.

051-1.jpg

A

Anonymous

Jeff have I seen tis in one of the flight jacket books? looks fantastic.

TankBuster

No. It wasn't in any of the books. It's actually now owned by one of our fellow members. I will let him decide if he wants to share any more photos. I can say that it is a great jacket and it was tough to let go of!

EMBLEMHUNTER

It is my understanding this was the WW-2 patch used by the squadron but it was not "Officially" approved , I have seen a photo of "Andy" on the nose of a unit P-47 he was well liked !
Johnny

bombs away

Hello,

This beautiful jacket is actually mine (thank you Jeff for such opportunity ;) ).
Here is a close up picture of the patch :
6790146024_2b9276cbc6_b_d.jpg

If you look closely to the down part of the patch, you can see the insignia has already been painted directly to the jacket before being covered by the patch.

Here is the back of the jacket.
6936253913_832bd858ec_b_d.jpg

Tim

a2jacketpatches

Tim,
The patch looks very big, like the diameter ( not including wing tips ) is about 6" I would like to do an accurate reproduction of this patch using vintage oil paint on HH. Sending PM