• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a nice 8AF patch on an A2

dujardin

discover this one, this is crew 003 of 839BS

839bsBrownCrew003.jpg

byeeeeeeeee marcel

better duck

Big one!
It must have been cold and they were in a hurry to get in the plane or back in a car, if one can judge that from the guy hind row, second from left. He's wearing a B10 and looking miserable!

442RCT

Almost all the guys in their A-2s have their dingy whistles hanging from the throat latch....kewl ! :D

shedonwanna

Thats a crew from the 487th BG that used a group patch which incorporated the large winged "8"th AF into "487" . Mean Widdle Kid is B-17 #43-37987. The 487th also flew B-24s. They also used the "Gentlemen From Hell" group patch...

487thbs_Ed_Wilkowski.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

There are a couple of variations of the 487th Bomb Group patch, I have seen an early "transition" one that has a shield with a large aerial bomb/tree/cactus and above the shield there is a winged star with a side view of a B-17 and B-24 along with the two color "rope" of AF yellow/blue and a motto scroll below shield that says "Strength and Precision" then you have the colors variations of the G.F.M. there is one with a totally tannish brown background, then one with the bule sky/white clouds but the Devil is red with a lighter gray jacket/hat, then the one you posted with the devil in the Yellow form and yellow pitchfork and solid red flames.

All variations I have seen .
Johnny

shedonwanna

The source for the patch posted here is the 487th association web site. The page below gives a description of the history of the patch. Appears that few examples of originals have surfaced. Was probably a limited run. Most of the 487th versions we have seen were modern or post war reproductions made from remembrances.

http://www.487thbg.org/Patch.shtml

Being an associate member and past president of the 388th BG association I have been making 388th BG patches for many years. Other members of the association continued to make patches (their own versions) all based on the original art. This set of patces (388th BG and 563rd BS) were made by a navigator from the 563rd. He had been making 388th patches for several years and when he was unable to continue he passed the responsibility on to me. My dad was also a navigator in the 563rd.

388th_simmon.jpg

This is one of my reproductions:

388thbgv.jpg