• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A new Star Eastman A-2 missing mark?

warguy

I just received a new Star Eastman A2 two days ago from Charles at HPA. Gorgeous jacket and I am thrilled. I thought I remember reading/seeing that the lining on these jackets had two inspector marks. The small AN mark in black, and the slightly larger army air forces star in circle mark in white. My jacket came with only the AN mark, no white star.

First, can someone confirm that both marks should be present on the Star lining? And second, if so, suggestions? When you pay a lot for an original maker jacket, the little details are important. Thought of tying to find the rubber stamps floating around for a while and stamping it myself, but those seemed to have dried up.

Kevin

Greg Gale

Hi Kevin,

Yes, mine has both. Although, as long as everything is in place, it shouldn't be a problem. It's a gorgeous jacket. Please post some photos/ fit pictures when you have time!

warguy

Thanks for the quick reply Greg, I suspected it was supposed to have both. First time poster on this forum. I will see if I can figure out how to post pics, may be the weekend before I have time.

So, anyone else have suggestions? Try to stamp myself, not worry about it, send it to HPA in the hope they have a stamp? Love the thing, just trying to figure out how bothered I am by this.

Persimmon

Worth asking for some discount off the purchase price.
Of course it’s a hardly noticeable thing but this is not a cheap item to initially buy.
Perhaps Ken will pop in and say what Aero would do as he often jumps in if their staff made such a error.
Then you can approach Eastman with some thoughts or in this case the US distributor.
Technically the jacket is a “second”.

2BM2K

Not all original Star-Sportswears had this stamp. So not having it is just as authentic.

Need to contact HPA to see what they say.

Smithy

I wouldn't give a rat's hairy @ss...I didn't notice the stamp in mine before I saw this thread. Nobody wears them inside out, right? ;) Looking forward to seeing it!

Now that's just the kind of response you'd expect from a don't give a damn flyboy :D

Silver Surfer

uhhhhhhh. to the best of my knowledge, the large black [sometimes white]star [meatball] stamps on liners were usually applied when the jackets were sent back to the original contractor, or depot to be refitted. it seems that todays repro makers apply the stamp to most of their jackets. why? another customer desired geegaw?, looks "authentic"? looks official? aint got a large star printed on your new a-2? good. also, an was not stamped on all a-2s. they were stamped randomly, like every 10th, 20th jacket, or some such. most that the an stamp near the nomenclature label, others, such as rough wear had them on the lower front liner. there were different sizes and numbers on these stamps, as well, depending on where they were inspected, and who they were inspected by.

Last edited:

Grant

FWIW, all but one of my original A-2's have no meatball stamp in the lining, but all have the inspector's stamp. The only one with the meatball stamp in the lining is a re-dyed RW 27752; so makes sense what Vic and Andrew are saying.

Roughwear

Mine are the same Grant. I have some without a stamp at all as the inspectors usually randomly plucked jackets from each lot for inspection stamping.

Grant

Yeah, I remember talking with a woman who sewed A-2's at Aero in both Brooklyn and Beacon before and during the war. She talked about how they would pay extra attention to their work when inspectors were there and slacked off when they were left alone. I so wish I would've recorded our conversation; she was real piece of work even in her late 80's.

warguy

Wow super comments, thank you all. I have an original Perry Sportswear with the AN stamp but not the white meatball. I am encouraged or relieved I guess to hear not all Stars had the white meatball stamp. Once again, I dove in on an original maker jacket to have it as authentic (within reason) to the originals but I am satisfied after the comments. I ordered a new Monarch as well, receiving that last Friday and have enjoyed studying the differences in the two jackets. My collection also includes an Eastman A-1 .50 caliber, and their M-422A. My father and I were fascinated with flight jackets in the late 80’s and early 90’s. He passed in 1995 and I guess I struggled with the interest as it was a bit hard on me emotionally. We were pretty close. I am back in with a vengeance and wanted to get an assortment that might take me through my retirement years. I will try to figure out the posting of photos in the near future. By the way Charles and HPA were great, and the products are once again fantastic. Thanks to all of you for your expertise. Kevin

Brent

20180823_132755.jpg

Not an Eastman but a BK. Never really gave it much thought though.

Regards,

warguy

B-Man2 holy smokes, what a gorgeous piece of history you have there. There simply cannot be very many original Stars out there like that. It is my understanding they let only one contract. Thanks for sharing and yes that puts my mind at ease. Actually, seeing yours, I am now kinda grateful mine doesn’t have the roundel stamp in it. I read somewhere that these white stamps went into effect after a certain year (I believe it was later in the war,maybe late 43 or 44 if I recall what I read). Some here have suggested it was perhaps stamped in jackets that went back for reconditioning. I think I heard the stamp might have been done in the field upon receipt by units but prior to issue. Eastman shows an original Star where you can barely see a faded white roundel stamp, the jacket I think that was used as a template for their repro, so there must have been some original Stars out there with the stamp. Once again, thanks for sharing, I sure love this forum and have learned a lot.

B-Man2

B-Man2 holy smokes, what a gorgeous piece of history you have there. There simply cannot be very many original Stars out there like that. It is my understanding they let only one contract. Thanks for sharing and yes that puts my mind at ease. Actually, seeing yours, I am now kinda grateful mine doesn’t have the roundel stamp in it. I read somewhere that these white stamps went into effect after a certain year (I believe it was later in the war,maybe late 43 or 44 if I recall what I read). Some here have suggested it was perhaps stamped in jackets that went back for reconditioning. I think I heard the stamp might have been done in the field upon receipt by units but prior to issue. Eastman shows an original Star where you can barely see a faded white roundel stamp, the jacket I think that was used as a template for their repro, so there must have been some original Stars out there with the stamp. Once again, thanks for sharing, I sure love this forum and have learned a lot.
Warguy
Thank you for your kind words. Let me first say welcome and that you’ve come to the right place for information regarding Vintage Flight Jackets and a variety of other types of aviation equipment and clothing. While you liked the Star A2 I posted, let me assure you that there are several other fellows here, who have more impressive collections than I and can provide you with detailed data on each manufacturer and contract for A2 jackets made during WWII. Looking forward to holding informative discussions with you and I hope you’ll stick around for a while.
Cheers
B-Man2