• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A new patch from chitchat

ButteMT61

Just thought I'd post up a leather patch chitchat made up for me. It's for my Dad when I get him a D-1. It's from his unit in the USAF, and it looks 10x better in person. Really nice work!
23rd Bomb Squadron based out of (then) Bicester, England.

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

shedonwanna

An interesting story about the insignia. On Dec. 27, 1935 five bombers from the 23rd and 72nd squadrons dropped twenty 600 lb. bombs to divert a lava flow from Mauna Loa. The flow had endangered the city of Hilo and was diverted by the bombing. And now you know the rest of the story...

ButteMT61

shedonwanna said:
An interesting story about the insignia. On Dec. 27, 1935 five bombers from the 23rd and 72nd squadrons dropped twenty 600 lb. bombs to divert a lava flow from Mauna Loa. The flow had endangered the city of Hilo and was diverted by the bombing. And now you know the rest of the story...

I did know that (thanks) - my Dad was a volcanologist, inter alia. :) He started out as a miner in Montana and used the GI Bill in the USAF to go to school. Has had quite the life, including being evacuated from his new ranch in Colorado this week after having been there only five days! Luckily, I can say they're back in today and OK.

A

Anonymous

Nice jacket. Ever visit the Gamble house in Pasadena? my dream house.