• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Little Help,B-1 CAP ????????????????

Weasel_Loader

Very interesting. B-1 or not, I think even the BIN price is fair. Can't beat that fading on the underside of the bill where the shades were. ;)

deand

Yes, I've seen these before on ebay. My best guess is private purchase, like an L.L. Bean cap. Very cool. Price is pretty fair, agreed.

dean

dmar836

Pretty cool cap. Never saw them with built-in shades like that. Probably a post-war fisherman's cap or something like that - definitely not issue.
Did you get it?
Dave

Rocky

I grabbed it.
I had one already but the condition of the one that I had is not nearly as nice as this one. I've seen photo's of pilots wearing them before. One picture that I remember seeing was of a PBY, Catalina pilot.
If any of you have the book by Mick Prodger, "Vintage Flying Helmets", there's a photo of one in there. The one in the book is in pretty ruff condition. This one seems to be in very good condition.

marco77

So cool with a white t-shirt , A-2 and Ray ban !!!!!
I love the ELC b-1 cap but out of stock !!!!!! :x :x

Marco

dmar836

Can you post a pic from Prodger's book? Does he describe it as theater-made? Navy is my week spot for sure. You see Halsey wearing a B-1 type cap often. Not sure if there was an "AN" designation.
I smell another project coming on!

Dave

TankBuster

Rocky said:
I grabbed it.
I had one already but the condition of the one that I had is not nearly as nice as this one. I've seen photo's of pilots wearing them before. One picture that I remember seeing was of a PBY, Catalina pilot.
If any of you have the book by Mick Prodger, "Vintage Flying Helmets", there's a photo of one in there. The one in the book is in pretty ruff condition. This one seems to be in very good condition.

Nice grab!! You're right about there being photos of these in use. I'm sure it was a field mod. I have seen a couple others for sale over the years, but not in very good condition.

Rocky

deand

I've seen one of the first one pictured above on ebay once about a year ago. Went for more than I could afford. Terrific cap! I bet I could fabricate a reasonable facsimile if I just had... :D

dean

dmar836

Those look like lenses from the ubiquitous 1021 goggle. Since the 1021 was made by Polaroid, it's quite likely the same. I have quite a few old warped lenses laying around. The smell is getting stronger!