• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few A-2's from the collection

JGC

deeb7 said:
JGC said:
The B-15 does have the White AAF stencil on the left sleeve, but its very faded. I wouldn't have thought that it would have been put on a non-military issue jacket.

If it's a nice jacket from the period, I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it does differ from the military spec. B-15's.

The lining looks to be of the green plush type often seen on the civilian jackets, instead of the wool/alpaca blend similar to that of your B-10. The zipper appears to be central, instead of offset to the right, and the pen pocket is the double type found a little later on the B-15A. There is no cloth hanger ...

I don't know how Messrs Maguire and Conway were able to tell that a jacket had been issued without a tag. It makes no sense as the sizes were incorporated into the label.

David, thanks for your feedback on this jacket, I've taken another look at it and have to now agree with everything you've said. This is the first of this model that I've ever had in my collection, and it looks like I need to keep searching. I did find a small size tag inside one of the pockets, and a cutter tag in the pocket on the opposite side. That's what I like about this forum, there's always something new to learn, I guess I'll mark this one up to experience. Thanks Jon

Peter Graham

deeb7 said:
I don't know how Messrs Maguire and Conway were able to tell that a jacket had been issued without a tag. It makes no sense as the sizes were incorporated into the label.
The information supplied by Maguire and Conway relating to cloth and nylon jackets is at best sketchy and at worst totally misleading. I don't believe an issued B-15 ever left the factory without a label. This myth probably started with Maguire and Conway mistaking a jacket like the one pictured here for an issued jacket. Many of these post war jackets had decals and some had offset zips.

asiamiles

JGC said:
The B-15 does have the White AAF stencil on the left sleeve
Having a white rather than a coloured stencil is often the sign of a civi jacket. I'm not sure why this would be. Were makers allowed to only put a white stencil on the sleeve or did they somehow happen to get hold of some?

JGC

This jacket is a size 40 B-10 made by Good Wear Leather Coat Company. I should have posted it at the same time I posted my Dream Girl A-2, they were both worn by Lt Roland Short, 20th AAF. I thought I'd post Dream Girl again since they should have been together the first time. Jon
MVC-842S-6.jpg

MVC-845S-7.jpg

MVC-846S-8.jpg

MVC-843S-7.jpg

MVC-879S.jpg

MVC-880S.jpg

MVC-881S.jpg

MVC-889S.jpg

JGC

Thanks guys for the thumbs up on these two jackets. Lt Short was the kind of person that never threw anything away during his time in the service, opening his footlocker was like taking a trip back to WWII. Jon

JGC

I thought I'd share a jacket I've had in the collection for many years. Its a size 38, Willis & Geiger AN-J-3A, Navy flight jacket. Its in fantastic condition except the name tag has been removed. Jon
MVC-847S-7.jpg
MVC-848S-6.jpg

MVC-849S-5.jpg
MVC-850S-5.jpg

JGC

I had the pleasure of spending the day with George Hubbard, a flight engineer on a B-24 that flew 37 missions with the 778th Bomb Squadron, 464th Bomb Group, in Italy. The stories that George shared with me were incredible, and I feel honored to have spent a little time with a great guy. The following pictures are of his A-2, one of the nicest jackets I've ever seen. Jon
MVC-639S.jpg
MVC-640S.jpg
MVC-641S.jpg
MVC-644S.jpg
MVC-645S.jpg
MVC-646S.jpg
MVC-647S.jpg
MVC-653S.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

Was George Hubbard's "Rigor Mortis" patch on his Great A-2 the "group's" unofficial" patch or "nose art " of the bird he crewed ??????
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

JGC

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Was George Hubbard's "Rigor Mortis" patch on his Great A-2 the "group's" unofficial" patch or "nose art " of the bird he crewed ??????
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
Hi Johnny, he told me that the patch was made just for his crew on the Isle of Capri, its a real looker. He mentioned that since they were flying later in the war, 44-45, they were not assigned their own bomber, but flew whatever was available. So the patch represented the crew, not a specific plane.

TankBuster

Great jacket! Thanks for showing it Jon. It's great to know that there are still a few of these on the backs of the vets! ;)

EMBLEMHUNTER

JGC said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
Hi Johnny, he told me that the patch was made just for his crew on the Isle of Capri, its a real looker. He mentioned that since they were flying later in the war, 44-45, they were not assigned their own bomber, but flew whatever was available. So the patch represented the crew, not a specific plane.

Hey JGC, thanks for the information on the "Rigor Mortis" patch , I kind of thought it would have been "nose art" related , but I guess it was for the crew , again thanks for answering !
Johnny

navvet

Thanks for the history lesson about Rigor Mortis. It is always a privilege to meet a WW2 vet, wouldn't you say?

dujardin

splennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndid

the applique is ....wowwwwwwwww, i don't find my word

also enjoy the leather rank

great jacket for a great man

thanks for sharing this with us
marcel