• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A curious example

handworn

This is a bit odd:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-BOMBER-JACKET- ... dZViewItem

Scalloped pockets, wine-colored lining, stencilled US on the neck rather than punched on the windflap. Looks pretty early, therefore. The question I have is this-- anyone ever seen this style of US on the collar before? The AN type dual-service jackets like this I've seen before have had more conventional collar stencils.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
handworn said:
Scalloped pockets, wine-colored lining, stencilled US on the neck rather than punched on the windflap. Looks pretty early, therefore. The question I have is this-- anyone ever seen this style of US on the collar before? The AN type dual-service jackets like this I've seen before have had more conventional collar stencils.

Whilst the stencil is certainly strange, or messed with, the style of lettering is similar to that found on a Bogen & Tenenbaum AN-6552.

The pockets, the lining, and the Conmar zipper match ... and the Bogen's have the A-2 style waistband in that colour.

greyhound52

deeb7 said:
handworn said:

The stencil is certainly strange, but the style of lettering is similar to that on a Bogen & Tenenbaum AN-6552.

The pockets, the lining, and the Conmar zipper match ... and the Bogen's have the A-2 style waistband.
I agree with "deeb" (notice got name right :D ) I had one of these in a 42 which was huge. Nice GS.

buzzthetower

Administrator
Definitely an Arnoff AN-J-3A. Quite rare, both pockets have pencil slots, and the collar has an extra strip along the body edge in the back. You'll find that same U.S. stencil on their sheepskin USN trousers.

J