• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-3 cap...ELC vs BR?

coolhandluke

Looking to purchase an A-3 cap, but unfortunately MASH is currently OOS in all sizes. When comparing the Eastman A-3 to the Buzz A-3, which has the lower dome cut out of the two?

Since I'm a size 7, I'm likely going to need to purchase a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 and shrink it just a bit. 1-2 sizes in shrinkage shouldn't be too difficult, correct?

If just waiting for MASH to restock is the best option, please feel free to comment on that as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mulceber

Since I'm a size 7, I'm likely going to need to purchase a 7 1/4 and shrink it a bit. 1/4 size shrinkage shouldn't be too difficult, correct?
Hat sizing is weird - 7 1/4 is actually two sizes larger than 7, making for a difference of about 2 centimeters. Is there a reason you don't just buy a size 7?

Also, be careful, as the Brits use the same annotation system for hat sizes (7, 7 1/8, 7 1/4, etc.), but use them to refer to slightly different measurements (a British 7 is an American 7 1/4). Very similar to the differences between US and UK shoe sizes.

coolhandluke

Hat sizing is weird - 7 1/4 is actually two sizes larger than 7, making for a difference of about 2 centimeters. Is there a reason you don't just buy a size 7?

Also, be careful, as the Brits use the same annotation system for hat sizes (7, 7 1/8, 7 1/4, etc.), but use them to refer to slightly different measurements (a British 7 is an American 7 1/4). Very similar to the differences between US and UK shoe sizes.

Correct Jan...yes, that was a typo on my part. That would be two hat sizes, which would equate to roughly 2cm in circumference.

Of the three, only MASH offers a size 7. The smallest size in ELC is a 7 1/8 and BR is 7 1/4. From what I've read, all three will shrink with use and laundering, so you typically need to size up at least one size.

Thank you very much for the heads up on the British hat measurement. I was completely unaware. I definitely need to refer to ELC's and BR's sizing charts before proceeding.

Unfortunately, I just purchased an ELC wool navy cap yesterday evening in a size 7.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

My head measurement is slightly less than 22", so hopefully, the size 7 (XS) ELC wool cap will still fit fine based on their chart below.

Screenshot_20240407_103411_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Grant

Looking to purchase an A-3 cap, but unfortunately MASH is currently OOS in all sizes. When comparing the Eastman A-3 to the Buzz A-3, which has the lower dome cut out of the two?

Since I'm a size 7, I'm likely going to need to purchase a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 and shrink it just a bit. 1-2 sizes in shrinkage shouldn't be too difficult, correct?

If just waiting for MASH to restock is the best option, please feel free to comment on that as well. Thanks in advance!

The Eastman has the lower dome cut when compared to the Buzz A-3. That's too bad the MASH A-3 is out of stock at the moment.

coolhandluke

The Eastman has the lower dome cut when compared to the Buzz A-3. That's too bad the MASH A-3 is out of stock at the moment.

Thanks Grant! MASH offers a 7 and 7 1/4, but no 7 1/8. After reviewing MASH's size chart, I think that the size 7 might be slightly too small anyway. The 7 1/8 ELC looks like it is the best bet as far as the fit is concerned. It's just a shame that the ELC is twice the cost of the MASH cap. :(

Last edited:

Dumpster D

I have the ELC in a 7 1/8 it's a cap for sure, small fittin'

The critics agree it's a beanie!!

I can get away with it using a Plain white cotton T and hawaiian shirt, and some chrome Aviators, but otherwise it's a 'goober' look my bro and I agree...I feel like Curly from 3 Stooges when he's wearing a pair of Coveralls manning a pump station.

'Super service, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!'

Southoftheborder

Apparently the American Indians used to call all white men the English too.

There is a pretty good series called The English with Emily Blunt set in the old American west. Don't know who's streaming it there but it's on Amazon in the UK now.

coolhandluke

Just wanted to thank you all again for your input. The ELC A-3 cap arrived today (size 7 1/8). The cap just needs a touch more work shaping it, but it fits beautifully right out of the box.

The size 7 USN cap that I ordered from a vendor here in the states was much smaller than ELC's size chart indicated, so I have a 7 1/8 heading this way. Hopefully it will be large enough as they were out of 7 1/4.

20240415_213951.jpg

Dumpster D

Just pop it all the way up...This guy knows!!

Live in it for awhile too, I mean fold it up in a pocket, go for it...It's gonna look good when it's nice and grimy!!

I'm still not sure which one to go with for the summer, the B-1 or the A-3, both are good.

The style of frames you need are hard to find that match good.

The 'Solarex' ones from 1945 are hard to find, and they don't make exact clones of those, but you can find frames in that style if you look around, I've got a couple pairs from the thrift that way...They're transparent green frames with smoke lenses!!! Gotta have those!!!

Anyway, LOOKS GREAT ON YA!!!

1713236953554.png

Dumpster D

These things right here, man are they ever Hot ticket items!!! I really badly, oh so badly need a repro pair of these badboys!!!

PLEASE someone make a repro pair of these things!!! Augh!!!

Again, you can get frames that are the same style but not quite as small as these ones.

Not with these good good glass polarized lenses.

1713237257923.png

Dumpster D

That's probably as close as you could get for now.

Why though, if these are reproduced in such nice quality, are there not already the other style of 'Solarex' type frames like the others?

I just wonder.