• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Worn in Hawaii During The Pearl Habor Attack

Maverickson

Hi All,

Just recently I came a cross a photo that I thought might be of some interest to the Forum members. As a one time resident of the Aloha State I have paid particular close attention in obtaining photos of flight jackets having been worn in the Islands. Having experienced many Hawaiian Winters first hand it is well known to me that there are only a few hours during any Winter day when a jacket might be required. So these photos are indeed rare.

All things considered, more often than not I have found examples of USN flight jackets being worn in Hawaii. However, in this case the fellow seen leaning over & reaching into the downed Zero immediately following the attack at Pearl Harbor appears to be wearing an A-2.

A-2ATPearlHarbor.jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

watchmanjimg

Nice pic, Dave! Interestingly, the guy in the center appears to be wearing a motorcycle jacket of some kind.

dmar836

I agree. An interesting observation for sure.
I see what you mean - the guy actually leaning into the cockpit. The MC jacket is equally as interesting.
Great pic!
Dave
Kansas City

dmar836

Are these guys Marines? I'm curious about the cap on the motorcycle jacket guy - with the coveralls. Also in the rear right, the sergeant with a ball cap on. I thought AAF A-3 but there are also guys with pith helmets and the M1917. I know all were on Pearl but I wonder what cluster of guys these are?
You can learn so much if you just stop to study some of these pics. Thanks for posting.
Dave
KC, USA

Vcruiser

..and..and the man bent over is Looie Loo Eye..and the sneaky charactor in the fedora with his fist doubled up is jilted French lover Maurice Chevalier...