• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"A-2" style knits on early 60's g1

Erwin

Hi folks,

I was indicating [via another thread] an interesting example of a g1 jacket [DSA-1-2071-63-C] where knits are not "standard" rib-rack. No traces of replacement, no dual stitch holes, etc... Just wanted to show you that non-regular heavier woven knits on 60's USN jackets can be found. This is a nice example, I believe that it is just an interesting aberration. Have you seen any similar knits on g1 jackets from the early 60s?
53045692055_63112c6d79_b.jpg

53045483874_cabb248818_b.jpg

53045483469_61fddf07e6_b.jpg

53045306526_5c6fde06f7_b.jpg

53045481639_37fef6ba73_b.jpg

53045305226_abd6166393_b.jpg

Thanks!

Erwin

These knits are typical - true [a bit less typical for waistbands on 63 contract], however, no stitching close to the cuff is less typical for g1.

B-Man2

Erwin
I just returned your PM on this subject.
Once again I agree with Chandler, the knits on that eBay G-1 are very poor replacement knits that are incorrect for that jacket .
Your jackets knits look correct for your G-1 .

Erwin

Thanks, Chandler and B-Man2,

The sleeves have the same length as on the other g1 jackets which I owned [same sizes], that's why I assume it was not shortened? Just wanted to show you this interesting example ;)

bgrant570

Interesting. I have a G1 of unknown year (pretty sure it's an E series) that has no stitching at the cuff. When compared to my Dad's G1 (same size - 42) the sleeves are an inch and a half shorter; all other measurements are within a quarter inch, if not dead on. I just assumed they had been shortened at some point. Never seen another one like it until yours!
G1 shoulder.jpg
G1 sleeve.jpg

Chandler

Interesting. I have a G1 of unknown year (pretty sure it's an E series) that has no stitching at the cuff. When compared to my Dad's G1 (same size - 42) the sleeves are an inch and a half shorter; all other measurements are within a quarter inch, if not dead on. I just assumed they had been shortened at some point. Never seen another one like it until yours!
View attachment 114309View attachment 114311
Those cuffs appear extra long, too. I'd guess they were replacements.

But that hide is very nice.

Any fit pics?

bgrant570

Yes, the cuffs being longer make it wearable. I'm new here so I've been waiting for introductions until I can get some pics of my (few) jackets including some fit pics. I'll try to get some up today!

Erwin

I've seen a few USN jackets with replaced knits and zippers in the 60s [based on the characteristic zippers], and some sleeve knits were like these [on your jacket bgrant570]. You can post the entire jacket picture, I do not want to see "elevator fit pics" ;)

bgrant570

I've seen a few USN jackets with replaced knits and zippers in the 60s [based on the characteristic zippers], and some sleeve knits were like these [on your jacket bgrant570]. You can post the entire jacket picture, I do not want to see "elevator fit pics" ;)

I'll make a new post about it in this forum today.