• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 shoulder decal

Pa12

Scale would be the 1/24 series. I think the Mk1 Hurricane came out around 73-74 ish, the Mk1 Spitfire and 109E before that. I made them all, couldn’t do it now though.
Yes. I’ve tried to renew my childhood hobby but I’m afraid I’ve lost the knack. Also remember a large mosquito model but I don’t recall the manufacturer

Micawber

Google says:

Airfix 1/24th Mosquito was released 2009 so many years after my serious model building.

" Mk1a Spitfire 1a 1970
" Bf109E 1970-73 [I reckon 1972]
" Mk1 Hurricane 1973

All my hours days, weeks and months of detailed work long, long gone now. I won an ATC squadron prize for a Revel 1/32nd scale Hurricane and the citation [which I think I still have somewhere] and prize was presented by a still relatively youthful Battle of Britain pilot.

Chandler

Crikey I couldn't. My eyesight is not what is was, my hands are not as steady as they were and my patience is not as great either :D
I was sort of hoping a hobby like scale modeling could help with my patience... but probably not my wife's. ;)

I remember taking up the kitchen table from after dinner to near midnight back in the 70s. I still remember the fun of finding the kits I wanted and the supplies like the little tins of paint -- damn, what was the brand? Humbrol? Or am I remembering something else?

Pa12

I was sort of hoping a hobby like scale modeling could help with my patience... but probably not my wife's. ;)

I remember taking up the kitchen table from after dinner to near midnight back in the 70s. I still remember the fun of finding the kits I wanted and the supplies like the little tins of paint -- damn, what was the brand? Humbrol? Or am I remembering something else?
And testors. I was the same. Completely consumed when building one. I think that’s why my dad had no problem buying them for me. Kept me out of trouble. Might help your patience after a couple of them. You can take all your frustrations out on the first one. Call it a sacrificial one.

Micawber

Yes Humbrol it was, good old fashioned oil based stuff.

Pa12

Google says:

Airfix 1/24th Mosquito was released 2009 so many years after my serious model building.

" Mk1a Spitfire 1a 1970
" Bf109E 1970-73 [I reckon 1972]
" Mk1 Hurricane 1973

All my hours days, weeks and months of detailed work long, long gone now. I won an ATC squadron prize for a Revel 1/32nd scale Hurricane and the citation [which I think I still have somewhere] and prize was presented by a still relatively youthful Battle of Britain pilot.
If the hurricane came out in 73 I probably got it in 74. I would have been 14. That explains why it took me so long to build. My mind would have been more on a different type of bird;)

Pa12

I suspect adults are the main customers for model kits now. Can’t imagine a youngster putting their phone down long enough to complete the task. A real shame. Helps dexterity, patience and some historical knowledge.

entertainment

I had a Hurricane and a Spitfire, and used lots of lacquer paints with an airbrush so must have breathed quite a bit. Now it is hard to buy lacquer paints here in the States. The liquid cement is also incredibly toxic. Somehow we all survived to be here on VLJ.

Pa12

I had a Hurricane and a Spitfire, and used lots of lacquer paints with an airbrush so must have breathed quite a bit. Now it is hard to buy lacquer paints here in the States. The liquid cement is also incredibly toxic. Somehow we all survived to be here on VLJ.
This was just the beginning for me. Most of the stuff I used and was exposed to throughout my career has been banned. Everything fro MEK to polyurethane paint. Even the turbine engine oil is listed as a carcinogen. And we were drenched in it most of the time.

entertainment

This was just the beginning for me. Most of the stuff I used and was exposed to throughout my career has been banned. Everything fro MEK to polyurethane paint. Even the turbine engine oil is listed as a carcinogen. And we were drenched in it most of the time.
The Testor's liquid cement for polystyrene still has MEK, at least as one component. Not sure the other ingredients are too safe either. I think it is only recommended for use under a fume hood or outside!

Pa12

When I think about all the restorations I’ve done, airplanes, cars, motorcycles etc, it’s actually much like modelling on a larger scale. Once IT’s disassembled, parts cleaned, repaired or replaced, it becomes like big model. Paint all the parts individually and start assembling in a specific order. Like modelling, I take my time on each individual part and do the best I can . Eventually it all comes together in a nice finished project.

Pa12

The Testor's liquid cement for polystyrene still has MEK, at least as one component. Not sure the other ingredients are too safe either. I think it is only recommended for use under a fume hood or outside!
Wouldn’t be surprised. Mek can’t be beat for cleaning, but it’s nasty stuff. I stripped a c-172 for my father years ago for a repaint. After the paint stripper I had to go over every square inch with scotchbrite soaked in MEK. Young and stupid (and before I was in the business) I didn’t even wear gloves. Hands would cramp up to the point I couldn’t make a fist. But it sure does the job.