• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 shoulder decal

Pa12

Had a question regarding the shoulder decal on the a-2. It’s my understanding this started in 44. It’s also my understanding that a-2 contracts were cancelled in 43. I know jackets were redyed , decals applied and re issued. Does this mean that there were no “new”jackets ever issued with the decal?

Grant

Impossible to tell exactly when a decal was applied to an A-2 but all my examples show wear and tear similar to the jacket.

Pa12

Ok. I’m assuming though they stopped making them in 43 they probably applied them to the remaining stock. Do you know if it was mandatory to have one put on your existing jacket? Or just personal preference. I’m sure they had more important issues to deal with at the time.

Pa12

I have the same questions about shoulder AAF Decals.

And how do you pronounce 'decal' ...Is it 'Deck-al' or is it 'Dee-cal' ?

Which decal is referred to as the 'meatball' ? and so on..
The shoulder decal wings and star. I always thought deecal was the British pronunciation and decal was American.

Dumpster D

So, what are the known facts about these Decals?

When did they first appear on jackets? and why?

Some Decals later say USAAF, and others are AAF, I'm looking for some further re-clarification when it comes to that history while on the subject.

Blackboxr1200S

Not specific A-2 decal but interesting read nonetheless.

1706642605784.png

Dumpster D

What is the thread with the 'flight school' photos of all the guys graduating? There's a grad photo of all B-3 guys and if you really look close, there's a small handful of B-3's with large AAF meatballs, and most of them don't have that. Want to know why some had decals, others didn't so, presumably they were made new in the factory with Decals applied, while some didn't for whatever reason.

As for why some Jackets got the plain 'Meatball' and some had the colored Decal like the McQueen A-2, is all speculative at best for me still, I'm sure someone has some solid info about it to clear it up a little better.

I can't find that photo but I think it was lifted from GW's site? Great photo.

Pa12

What is the thread with the 'flight school' photos of all the guys graduating? There's a grad photo of all B-3 guys and if you really look close, there's a small handful of B-3's with large AAF meatballs, and most of them don't have that. Want to know why some had decals, others didn't so, presumably they were made new in the factory with Decals applied, while some didn't for whatever reason.

I can't find that photo but I think it was lifted from GW's site? Great photo.
I’m guessing it depends on when their jackets were issued. My understanding is that the decals started in 44.

Erwin

Stamps and Other Additions​

The Army Air Corps wing and star insignia is also seen to appear in various forms. It can be found as a larger stamp on the lining, as a smaller stamp or decal on the inside face of the zipper wind flap, or as a full-color transfer on the left shoulder. The application of this insignia on clothing and other flying equipment was specified in Technical Order No. 13-1-12, dated February 1, 1944. Insignia were then applied both to new items and to used items, such as many A-2 jackets, which were either reissued or refurbished.
Source: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail.html

Chandler

The shoulder decal wings and star. I always thought deecal was the British pronunciation and decal was American.
Ever since I started building Revell and AMC scale models in the late 60s I always used the long "e" for decal. Have never heard "dekal" as a pronunciation.

FWIW -- there's a term in paper making known as a "deckle edge," you see it on the edge of book leaves sometimes -- very ragged looking.

Pa12

Ever since I started building Revell and AMC scale models in the late 60s I always used the long "e" for decal. Have never heard "dekal" as a pronunciation.

FWIW -- there's a term in paper making known as a "deckle edge," you see it on the edge of book leaves sometimes -- very ragged looking.

Decalcomania ;)

Chandler

Decalcomania ;)
Well, I thought we were discussing American pronunciation, not French.

French Canadian? ;)

As said, we (not oui) scale modelers in our pre-teens in 1968-70 used dee-kals on our hot rods, WW1 aircraft, and armor (sometime later).

Micawber

I have the same questions about shoulder AAF Decals.

And how do you pronounce 'decal' ...Is it 'Deck-al' or is it 'Dee-cal' ?

Which decal is referred to as the 'meatball' ? and so on..

Depends where you are from Old Boy, over here in the UK it's usually 'decal'. In the '60's water slide transfers as supplied in construction kits were only referred to in as decals in kits from the USA, home-brew stuff from Airfix etc were always called 'transfers'.

Pa12

Well, I thought we were discussing American pronunciation, not French.

French Canadian? ;)

As said, we (not oui) scale modelers in our pre-teens in 1968-70 used dee-kals on our hot rods, WW1 aircraft, and armor (sometime later).
Can’t remember what make of model it was but that’s what they called it. Really fucked up my 9 year old brain;)

Pa12

Depends where you are from Old Boy, over here in the UK it's usually 'decal'. In the '60's water slide transfers as supplied in construction kits were only referred to in as decals in kits from the USA, home-brew stuff from Airfix etc were always called 'transfers'.
Loved airfix. Had a huge hurricane model. Took me weeks to finish it. Very detailed. Was probably a bit advanced for my age at the time.