• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Nirvana

SuinBruin

That is a great looking jacket. JC is just dialed in right now... his tailoring, materials, and patterns are topnotch. I will have to get one of his SATs once I can scrape the funds together in a year or two, after my trip to Russia.

Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

cheers,
matt

better duck

Love that Zippo in the right pocket! Someone posted a thread not to long ago about a shape in the pocket of an A2, wondering what must have made that, and the general opinion was "Zippo". Very period!. I have a couple of them myself and love them. I read there is even an app for the Iphone: if you flick the Iphone sideways, it makes the characteristic sound of a Zippo opening and closing!
But to close of true to the subject of the thread: What a great jacket!

Marv

Beautiful jacket Steve, looking at it you would think it was an original RW......JC has definately nailed the look and design on that one.

airfrogusmc

Looks GREAT!!!

John gets it and his jackets show that attention to detail. You certainly have a real beauty. Congrats.

Peter Graham

Steve, two words describe your jacket. Fucking awesome. Wear it in good health mate. Looking forward to more pics.

Marrk

Outstanding jacket and fit! I assume it's horsehide.

What size is the jacket and what size are you (height, sleeve, etc.)?

All I can say is Wow. Totally super.

johnwayne

Amazing, just when you think its safe NOT to go for another A2 you come along and spoil it!
Does look the nuts Steve - you've more balls than me though, going in the shower with a brand new jacket.
I thought I'd reached that 'Nirvana' too with an original Dubow, a JC Dongier and '57 Caglego G1 all that fit like they were made just for me (+2 ELC's). Now with all the talk on this site about A1's I want one and youve just made things even worse!!!
Enjoy

Cheers
Wayne

Cobblers161

Aye I'm pretty chuffed and the best part is after a few days further wear it'sgetting even better.
Regarding the 'shower treatment' however,it was nothing harsh, just a quick dip akin to a very short rain shower, just enough to get the jacket damp and not soaked. I just find this helps the jacket mould to your physique a little better and it's something I've fone to every GW I've had through my grubby hands.

better duck

johnwayne said:
Does look the nuts Steve - you've more balls than me though, going in the shower with a brand new jacket.

Nah, no big deal there: I've put all of my jackets through several long showers of very hot water, really soaking the leather. Indication of requiered endresult: after soaking they feel hot and like they weigh a ton. Then I start wearing them (when still very warm, which lasts only minutes, and then it starts feeling rather cold and clammy) as long as I can. But, as said, that procedure really helps mould the jacket to your personal contours, and helps develop wrinkles and creases in the leather - and curling flaps too.
Come on, act like you belong to VLJ and try the same: the jacket can take it, BUT: can you....??? :D :D
;) Social pressure to act "normal" can be killing. Wife, kids, friends, all can act up when they see respectable dad acting strange with his beloved jackets.... :cool:

MikeyB-17

Git outta here! That's no repro, that's an original! :lol: Looks incredible! I like the Zippo in the pocket too-might start carrying mine, even though I haven't used it in anger for nearly twenty years.

Andrew

MikeyB-17 said:
Git outta here! That's no repro, that's an original! :lol: Looks incredible! I like the Zippo in the pocket too-might start carrying mine, even though I haven't used it in anger for nearly twenty years.
hehe, I know the feeling well, two favourites with good memories. A streamlined silver lighter I bought at Camden in '86, and an Austrian made trench lighter given to me one glorious summer afternoon in '89 sailing on Olso Fjord. I have to get a zippo though. I love old lighters.

Marrk

My only concern with getting a leather jacket wet is that there may be some loss of oils in the leather. Enough wetting and drying and you will have a hard, cracked piece of leather. This is why we use conditioners on our older leather garments, i.e., to restore these oils and reconstitute the leather, making it once again soft, supple and attractive. One wetting of a new, high quality jacket like this has already "aged" it noticeably. It looks great, and I doubt that there is serious damage, but it looks the way it does because you have "stressed" it.

Others may have a more informed idea on this.

Cobblers161

Marrk, the hh looks aged already, the water treatment/exceptionally brief sprinkle has done little in terms of overall look except set in some arm creases and mould the body a little. I think 'stressed' is the wrong terminology as it hasn't suffered that one iota, like I said it was comparable to being caught out in a very very brief rain shower anything one would expect in a temperate climate and nothing ott. No soaking just a few seconds under a light shower.

The grain and character was already there in abundance the 'look' was present from the off. John had been clever enough to find quality hides.

Marrk

Cobb, I hear what you're saying and I have no doubt that you are correct. One brief spritz could not seriously harm a quality jacket like that. However, in general, I wouldn't make a practice of wetting and drying leather goods, as I'm sure you would agree.

So, tell us the jacket size and your build size so we will know how to order the correct fit for ourselves.

Cobblers161

Well I'm 6'/187cm tall and weigh in a 12.75 Stone/180lbs with a true chest size of just over 41.5"

The jacket is labelled as a 44" and measurements are as follows:

Shoulders - 19.5"
Chest - 23" front panel about 23.5" to 24" back panel
Down the Windflap - 23.25"
Down the back from collar sean below stand to end of knit - 25"
Sleeves - Originally 25.5" and now approx 25" after creasing has set in.

Hope that helps..