• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Fit and Driving a Car

PDXRunner

I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post. Hopefully this will not come off as yet another "how A-2's were worn" question. This is a more specific question: is an accurate A-2 reproduction a jacket that can be comfortably worn everyday?

I recently received a Good Wear Leather No-Name 27753 size 46. It's a beautiful jacket. I am new to A-2's, and so I tried on two test jackets (different makers) and provided my measurements in order to get a good fit. One of the reasons I picked the GW 27753 is because it's one of their "most comfortable fitting" jackets. In the spirit of authenticity, I asked for the jacket to be made with few or no modifications to the pattern, and that I would prefer a larger jacket over a smaller one if I was between sizes.

The jacket I got fits well, and seems to look like many of the fit pictures I see on this forum. However, for driving, the sleeves ride up. Is this just the way an A-2 fits that isn't ridiculously over sized? At the same time, I would imagine aviators would not want their sleeves riding up inside a cockpit. I recently checked out the A-2 fit pictures in "U.S. Combat Flying Clothing: Army Air Forces Clothing During World War II" and "Gear Up!: Flight Clothing & Equipment of USAAF Airmen in WWII." I know there has been much discussion on how these jackets were originally worn, so I am not necessarily asking about how they were worn. I am asking how do you wear your jackets now? Do you have a "smart" looking jacket that also lets you move your arms easily or are the sleeves of an A-2 going to ride up because there is no action back?

I'd appreciate any insight you can provide me.

greyhound52

Have the same issue with my GW and Buzz Rickson. And the Rickson has almost 3 inch cuffs. Not an issue if you are wearing the A10 gloves that pilots wore but it is annoying to us modern types driving a car. Never had this issue with my Navy G-1s or my nylon jackets. This is kind of an A2 thing. Really no solution and I feel as long as the jacket fits well in the arms and the knit breaks where it should (which they do) I try and not worry about it.

fishmeok

Has to do with the way the jacket is cut, particularly the distance between the shoulder blades and the size of the armhole. Navy jackets don't do this because the bi-swing back allows the extra three inches of room between the shoulder blades. If you get the arms an inch longer or go for a larger size it won't ride up as much-just personal preference. It bugged me a little too at first, but after going through several jackets I have the one I like best (Goodwear) and have made some of my own to my own taste.

I find the A-2 to be very comfortable for everyday wear, as long as I treat it as what it is- essentially a windbreaker. The more layers I add, the less comfortable it gets.
Cheers
Mark

GW 46 Dubow that I re-dyed dark brown
IMG_0117.jpg

This jacket is a good fit on me (jacket before I dyed it)- longer in the sleeves and body. Perfect with a light shirt or sweater that's about it.
DSCN3287.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
fishmeok said:
Has to do with the way the jacket is cut, particularly the distance between the shoulder blades and the size of the armhole. Navy jackets don't do this because the bi-swing back allows the extra three inches of room between the shoulder blades. If you get the arms an inch longer or go for a larger size it won't ride up as much-just personal preference. It bugged me a little too at first, but after going through several jackets I have the one I like best (Goodwear) and have made some of my own to my own taste.

I find the A-2 to be very comfortable for everyday wear, as long as I treat it as what it is- essentially a windbreaker. The more layers I add, the less comfortable it gets.
Cheers
Mark

Hi, Mark,

Here's a sacrilegious thought - but wouldn't the A-2 fit much better with underarm gussets similar to the M-422a even though it doesn't have the bi-swing back.

I remember Gen Savage in 12 O'Clock High had black fabric ones sewn into his A-2?

It always struck me as probably the best mod for that jacket - that and the cigarette pack / pen holder on the arm.

Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PDXRunner said:
The jacket I got fits well, and seems to look like many of the fit pictures I see on this forum. However, for driving, the sleeves ride up. Is this just the way an A-2 fits that isn't ridiculously over sized?

Yes, that's just the way an A-2 fits ... if the sleeve length feels right most of the time, then don't worry about it.

You know .... it's like trousers. You hem them to break on your shoe, but when you sit, they ride up. It's what trousers do .... :)

Atticus

I've mentioned this before. Sorry for repeating myself.

My father had an A-2 and hated it. Said it was "too cold, too stiff and too tight." He never wore it and happily returned it to the USAAF after the war. On the other hand, he liked his "cloth jacket with the fur collar". He thought it was very comfortable and warm.

I can't help but think that he would have loved an MA-1, if he had ever been issued one.

AF

Happy Hooligan

my first A2 was an Aero and it fit fine except for the sleeve length when I drove. So my next A2 I ordered it with extra length in the sleeves and Iove it.

Sounds like your sleeves are just too short.

Cobblers161

How does it fit when your standing. If the knits cover your wrists then your fine. As has already been said when driving the cut of the A-2 means the sleeves ride up. I gotta admit I kind of like this little quirk.

Definately not too short, try and ignore this small trouble and wear the hell out of your jacket. Oh, and pics are compulsory!

Burnsie

The sleeves riding up doesn't bug me half as much as long sleeves that tunnel too much when my arms are down (had both)

Vcruiser

Burnsie said:
The sleeves riding up doesn't bug me half as much as long sleeves that tunnel too much when my arms are down (had both)

Burnsie
I agree. Sleeves that are just too long stand out as very obvious and noticable on an otherwise well fitting jacket.
Van

greyhound52

Burnsie said:

Agree the tunnel thing really bugs me. So the A2s I have fit perfect when walking around etc. Just ride up a bit when I drive which is ok. Agree with atticus that nylon jackets fit the best and are most comfortable. Bill argee with your comment which is why the ANJ-3 I had fit really well. One jacket I am sorry I sold. Oh well.

PDXRunner

I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. It has been very helpful. As requested here are some pictures:

Front.jpg

Here I am raising my arms up, but not reaching them out. The sleeves go up about two inches.

ArmsOutFront.jpg

I've stretched the knits on the wrists out a bit, so that has helped a lot. It's fine with a t-shirt on, but it's pretty tight with a long sleeve shirt.

ChuckO

PDXRunner said:
I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. It has been very helpful. As requested here are some pictures:

Front.jpg

That's a great looking coat! The left sleeve does look longer than the right to me though. But that's being picky.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Whilst I'm sticking to my story, that it's just the nature of the A-2 ....

I can see the problem now ... the driver's seat is too low. ;)

better duck

I was curious to see some pictures, but now that I do, I can only join the chorus of those that say: a) great jacket, b) great fit, c) riding up of the sleeves when you raise and/or stretch your arms is part of the game. It is either this, or a tunneling effect when standing with your arms down. That looks worse!

Robman

I agree with the others....good fit.

There's another aspect of longer sleeves I have encountered. Although when driving and reaching they are ok they develop a crease in the upper bicep area due to the extra length which makes the smaller armhole design more uncomfortable/pinching.

That's a good length for you.

wop54

I was taking my 13 years old daughter, Amanda, to one of her schoolmate's house this afternoon, when i asked her to take a pic or two of my hands on the steering wheel... She looked at me asking, a bit worried, if i was all right.... :oops:
anyway... here are a couple of pics of my A2 whilst driving in comparison with a pic of my A2 taken during a walk on the beach, last sunday. Do your A2's sleeves roll up like that?
IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0980-1.jpg

CSC_0218.jpg

They do roll up a bit but it doesn't bother me. I take my jacket off when i have to drive for a while....
Cheers, Carlo

better duck

wop54 said:
I was taking my 13 years old doughter, Amanda, to one of her schoolmate's house this afternoon, when i asked her to take a pic or two of my hands on the steering wheel... She looked at me asking, a bit worried, if i was all right.... :oops:
anyway... here are a couple of pics of my A2 whilst driving in comparison with a pic of my A2 taken during a walk in the beach, last sunday. Do your A2's sleeves roll up like that?
(....)
They do roll up a bit but it doesn't bother me. I take my jacket off when i have to drive for a while....
Cheers, Carlo

Ha ha, we are a sorry bunch, aren't we. My 10 year old daughter also looks a bit worried when I ask her to take the pics you see of me on VLJ. But it is little things like this that worry us, so we might as let go completely here on our little part of the asylum called the internet! I love it!
Great fit, even in the car, nothing wrong with that. My run up even a little more. And on the beach, or whereever it is, that we take this stance, yep, same effect!

johnwayne

Never really have prblem with my A2's however, I dont like much driving with any jacket 'done up' ie zipped or buttoned and unzipped it does allow more movement like you get with a bi- swing back but I also drive a 1972 MGB and when the top is down you really need your jacket zipped and if anything it's 'bunching' up in the body (no, I'm not particulalry overweight!) I get with an Aero M442a I have, maybe an original or a softer leather one might be the answer for me! Perhaps I need a 'shearling' or is that just an excuse to buy another jacket!!! Whatever, I certainly wouldn't go for longer sleeves but it is personal choice - surely it's about the look anf fit while wearing your jacket out and about, rather than driving though?