• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Evolution

herk115

Given the fact that when the USAF starting issuing A-2s again in 1988 and that they were different in some regards from the original design, leaving most of us unhappy with them, I'm wondering about the evolution of the A-2. My current USAF issue Cockpit is far truer to the WWII A-2 than the Cooper, but it has inside pockets and handwarmer pockets (though the handwarmer pockets are merely the aft seam of the flap pocket left unsewn and can be sewn up if the wearer desires, I guess). Obviously, modern A-2s are different from WWII A-2s. The inside pockets are proving very handy and I think would have shown up at some point if nature and military will had been allowed to take their course. My questions are these: one, was there any kind of evolutionary trend that was showing up in A-2s between 1931 and the contract termination in 1942? There are differences in that period, yes, but they appear to be random. And second, suppose the USAF had never stopped issuing A-2s. Would there have been some kind of evolution of the design? Possibly an evolution that would have resulted in a jacket more removed from the original than the Cooper was? Was there any evidence either of these scenarios was happening? Just food for thought.

Chandler

My memory could be off a little on this (and I don't have any of my books with me), but I'm pretty sure the AN-J-3 was supposed to replace the A-2 and the M-422a. AN being the acronym for Army-Navy. Had the Army Air Forces not gone to nylon I suppose the A-N could have been an evolution.

But between '31 and '42 I think the biggest change in the A-2 was probably the collar stand -- and I'm not sure that was even original spec.

Of course, the A-N-J3a was nearly identical to the M-422a, so I suppose you can look at the Nay and see the little evolution in their jacket over the years.

Phantomfixer

On a functional level, which is what the military flight jacket is all about, the A-2 falls well short, IMO. In the cockpit, they, the horsehide A-2's, are stiff and uncomfortable. In an open cockpit plane, I think they hold their own in moderate climates.
So I think HH Arnold got it right by wanting a warmer, more comfortable flight jacket, thus the evolution of the flight jacket.

I am not knocking the A-2, been in love with them for the last 40 years, yup since I was a pup. Other guys could rattle off stats of footbal players, me I knew all about the AAF or so I thought :lol: :lol: :lol:
The new A-2s, of goatskin, have evolved since their reissue in 87. I love the russet goat of the first Coopers/Saddlery, but the cut was awful. The newer Cockpit pattern is comfortable and utilitarian with all their crazy interior pockets. I love em...I dug out my 92 Branded, it is a generous cut too..
just my 2 cents on the A2 evolution

colekwok

I am no A-2 or flight jacket expert, but I think it would be a evolution dead end, unless we still stick with propeller engine kind of planes.

IF, there is really "evolution" of the A-2 over the years, it would very likely be based on "natural selections". The selective pressure would come from practical point of views, safety, comfort, practicality, cockpit design, flight accessories, price and so on.

First thing to phase out would be the vertical pockets, which has been shown on the modern A-2s anyway.
Then, the collar will go, there is not much use of a collar except for the styling, unlike the Navy fur collar, and it is not idea if you are going to wear some oxygen masks and radio gears with loads of tubes and wires, plus the ejection seats.......
Then the collar hook, it will either be replaced with a button or buckled type of system or simply Velcro.
Leather would be impractical as it is heavy and stiff and bulky, it's fine if you are flying C130 or B-52 or if you are a chopper pilot. Keeping warm with leather is also a thing of the past, now we have air-con as well. Now that even nylon is phased out for fire retarding materials, so leather is just more for the casual look. And if you are so unfortunately being shot down in enemy territories, you want something green in the wood or tan in some desert area.

So, basically, the natural progression of A-2 is, the current CWU jackets.

As for the changes between 1931 and the WW2 period, I think like many had said, was the removal of the collar stand, other than that, it was mainly the pattern diversity of different contracts.