• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 contracts, where did they deploy to?

As I'm getting a bit more into A-2's, there's been a question I've had on my mind for a while. Is there any pattern to where particular contracts wound up in service? For example do certain contracts turn up more often in the 8th AF, while others show up mostly from CBI? Are there no patterns at all? The reason I'm asking is that I have a GW Aero 16160 that I'm thinking of adding a shoulder roundel to and I'm wondering if there would be any particular air forces or theaters that would be more in line with the contract than others.

I'm sure that any jacket could wind up just about anywhere, but I'd be interested to know if there are trends.

Hard facts or baseless opinions are welcome. ;)

Rick

Swing

The contract your jacket replicates is pre-war and could have wound up any where. As for contracts made during the war, it wouldn't suprise me if some showed up in higher numbers in certain theaters, but I think you would have seen examples from every contract, used everywhere.

~Swing

greyhound52

Swing said:
The contract your jacket replicates is pre-war and could have wound up any where. As for contracts made during the war, it wouldn't suprise me if some showed up in higher numbers in certain theaters, but I think you would have seen examples from every contract, used everywhere.

~Swing

I have had two original 27752 Roughwears one from the ETO and one from the Pacific. Same with the two RW 18091s I have owned one from Italy and one from the Pacific. So I think they may have been sent all over during the war.

jacketimp

rick.canavar said:
As I'm getting a bit more into A-2's, there's been a question I've had on my mind for a while. Is there any pattern to where particular contracts wound up in service? For example do certain contracts turn up more often in the 8th AF, while others show up mostly from CBI? Are there no patterns at all? The reason I'm asking is that I have a GW Aero 16160 that I'm thinking of adding a shoulder roundel to and I'm wondering if there would be any particular air forces or theaters that would be more in line with the contract than others.

I'm sure that any jacket could wind up just about anywhere, but I'd be interested to know if there are trends.

Rick

so there you are.....cbi.........

your 16160........is that a test jacket or the full fledge mama?

jacketimp said:
rick.canavar said:

Rick

Its a test jacket I bought from Jeff/Rotenhahn I while back. If I'd spent for the full fledged mama I don't think I consider putting stitch holes in it. ;)

Cliff

I am very happy with my GW Aero 16160, not sure if mines a "test" jacket though. I bought it from JC via ebay ("off the peg" - waiting is not my thing) about 11 months ago so it maybe. Its evolving into a really lovely jacket with all the scuffs and crinkles and textures coming through. Nice to know there is more than one GW 16160 out there ! :)

jacketimp

rick.canavar said:
jacketimp said:
rick.canavar said:

Rick

Its a test jacket I bought from Jeff/Rotenhahn I while back. If I'd spent for the full fledged mama I don't think I consider putting stitch holes in it. ;)

it's only a jacket.........and a repro........you can always get another ;)