• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 contract and order numbers question

316thTCG

Hi all,

what is the difference between contract and order numbers? Why did some of the manufacturers have one and/or the other?

Thanks, Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Although each contract would have an order number, it wasn't a requirement to record both on the labels ... in fact some contracts are thought to be labelled either way.

For example:

• Doniger 42-21539 P = W535 AC29971
    Star 42-18245 P = W535 AC28557

316thTCG

Hi David,

thanks, so somewhere both are/were recorded. I ask because I've only ever seen the Monarch contract number (which was piqued by my interest in a soon to arrive ELC Monarch).

Jeff

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Although each contract would have an order number, it wasn't a requirement to record both on the labels ... in fact some contracts are thought to be labelled either way.

For example:

This is interresting about these two contracts and has been cited before and may be correct. I am still waiting for documentary evidence to prove they were one and the same contract. My Doniger 42-21539 and no name AC29971 are by no means identical jackets which could suggest differences within the contract or different contracts.

316thTCG

Hi all,

most interesting stuff. Another question: has anyone "decoded" the letters and numbers?

E.g.: "Star 42-18245 P = W535 AC28557"

42 = the fiscal year of the order?

P = ??

W535 = ??

AC = Air Corps?

Thanks, Jeff

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
deeb7 said:

For example:

This is interresting about these two contracts and has been cited before and may be correct. I am still waiting for documentary evidence to prove they were one and the same contract. My Doniger 42-21539 and no name AC29971 are by no means identical jackets which could suggest differences within the contract or different contracts.

Wouldn't the contract just be for a certain number of jackets A-2 made to the drawing and related specification? Actual patterns were as interpreted by the manufacturer. Why there would be such a difference between those two if they were made under the same contract is Any one's guess.
I suppose there could be a few reasons such as subcontracting or contract sharing.

Hopefully you will find some documentary evidence.

Dr H

As I've posted elsewhere, my civilian Doniger from 1942 resembles one of Andrew's issued jackets more than the other (the no name I think) having less pointed collar and narrower pocket flaps.

316thTCG

Hi all,

I've tried to do a search for this info, but didn't find anything - anyone know a resource to go to or just know how many A-2s were manufactured by the various makers or at least ball park figures - e.g. I have seen it written here that Monarch didn't make that many. Is this based on someone seeing the contract or that they only had one contract?

Thanks, Jeff

Roughwear

Archival research in the US is needed to establish the numbers ordered for every contract. We do know that on 25 May 1942 Aero received a contract for 50,000 A2 jackets at $8.15 per jacket. This was the 18775-P contract.

There is a dated 13 June, 1944, from Maj. Gen B.E. Meyers, Office, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Materiel, Maintenance and Distribution which shows the following:

Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, New York, Jacket, leather, Type A-2 25,000
J.A. Dubow, Chicago, Ill Jacket, Leather, Type A-2 35,000

Paul Reed Co Milwaukee, Wis Intermediate B-10 Jacket, 7500
Roughwear Clothing, New York B-10 Jacket, B15 Jacket 24,000
Superior Togs, New York B-10 Jacket, B-15 Jacket 18,000

If you follow this thread there is more info on the size of contracts.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9022

Roughwear

As I can no longer edit the above post (the half hour limit is very annoying!)I should add the 13th June 1944 document was referring to the no name AC1756 contact which has all the classic Perry house features and the AC 1755 Dubow contract. Both contracts were for size 36-40 jackets in the main and were thought to be replacements for previously issued A2s.

316thTCG

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the reply/info. Seems that a heck of a lot of research goes into the details of/images of the artwork on the jackets, but not to much on the production/history of the A-2s as a whole - or that is just my newbie take on it. I have read a few of the AAC/AAF equipment and clothing books (e.g. the Sweeting books, Brayley, Maguire, etc.) - all discuss in a genral way the A-2s.

Seems like there is a need of some well versed and with time on their hands author to search the archives! Love to do it myself, but I'll do that when I get around to working on a second PhD :lol:

Jeff