• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 collar stand question

yankeerebel65

this is a rather odd question but I'd like to hear from some of you about the pros and cons of the collar stand in a repro A-2 as it pertains to wearing the jacket. Is it comfortable? Does it look odd when wearing it compared to the later A-2's w/o the collar-stand?, etc. I'm just curious. I'm looking to buy a new jacket but wanted to hear from others on this before I buy.

Thanks much!

Dr H

As I posted on FL, my favourite contracts tend to be Perry Sportswear jackets (all with collar stands) - I particularly like the scalloped pocket flaps and smaller/neater collar ends.
However, the jackets were all produced with collar stands, which does make the collar quite prominent and high on the neck.
It's a smart collar when worn fastened, but this isn't common - I usually wear my collars open, when it sits less comfortably.
So, latterly I've moved towards simpler fastenings, which are more comfortable/sit lower on the throat and can be worn more easily with a tie, etc.

Skip

My Werber has a collar stand, and it is a particularly trim fit, you do notice it more so while driving but I dont find it overly uncomfortable on the neck. Some have stated that it can chafe a bit especially if your moving your head around a bit, like in a cockpit. Have spent three hours driving in it but my neck wasn't sore, and now that it has worn in, the leather is soft and extremely pliable and I dont feel it really at all. My BK Arco (Aero) doesn't have a collar stand is is quite comfortable, although the jacket is more roomy, the collar has a tendency to relax more. All this is said with the collar unhitched, I always leave the collar open.

As for the look, a collar stand does make the collar 'stand' up as it were, it doesn't flatten out as easily and always looks 'right' to me. It also helps if you want to flip the collar up and it stays up.

Corky

The collar satnd question is one of style...

Let me begin by saying that some of my flight jackets have collar stands and some do not.

A collar stand is simply an optional style element on some vintage jackets and repros. It is a narrow band of leather sewn between the jacket and the collar which makes the construction of the jacket similar to that of a dress shirt.

What the collar stand does is to offer the wearer the chance to pop the back of the collar up. I prefer to wear my A-2s with the back of the collar popped about halfway up. This causes the rest of the collar to flair out a bit around the wearer's throat and adds a bit of panache when the jacket is worn.

And obviously, if one's jacket lacks a collar stand, the collar can still be popped, but the effect is not the same.

If you plan to wear your collar flat or buttoned down at all times or if you are not concerned with popping your collar up now and then, then a collar stand may not be of any importance.

But if you use your clothing as a language to express your individual style, then a collar stand gives you the option to add a bit of dramatic flair when appropriate.

Marv

My RW 27752 comes with collar stand (as does all the Roughwear contracts) and I personally think that it makes the jacket giving a smart appearance also doesn't irritate the neck area in my case.

Why take a look at the excellent photos of different contracts (with and without collar stands) on the Goodwear website which should give you some idea of how they look etc.

www.goodwearleather.com

2BM2K

The collar stand is to help give neck protection. With the jacket zipped up and the throat latch done up it will
look something like this;

collar_stand.jpg

With the collar up and worn open necked it will still give protection at the back of the neck as well as looking good.

This is really a matter of personal preference, it may be that the overall jacket design is more important.
Also depends on which jacket reproduction maker you had in mind.

A

Anonymous

The collar stand is a feature of many jackets, not only A-2.
You will never have a problem with it the same way that you don't have problem with your shirts.

The ideal solution is to buy 2 jackets one with and one without collar stand.
They are both satisfactory.

Rutger

ELC Werber with collar stand.
GW Dubow without collar stand.

The one without is less restrictive, and indeed easier on my neck when I drive.

That may very well be due to the different cut in the neck area as well, i.e. even with a collarstand the exact same Dubow may be more comfy than the ELC.

yankeerebel65

Guys thank you all very much! I think a jacket with the collar stand is the way I'll go. I think I'd like the sharper look this will provide.

Again thank you all so much.

Dr H

This is the Perry Sportswear 16175-P with collar stand (to illustrate the point about how the collar sits high on the neck):

reverse_view2.jpg

This is a similar shot (same model, John Chapman, same size) of a simple collar attachment (David D Doniger):

reverse_view2.jpg