• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 1960s Avirex G-1

Vcruiser

Yeah...can't figure just why he got so testy and wanted to sue everybody. Even Atticus tried to calm him down. The NiteAce sure hated rusty collars. Wasn't the real NiteAce his Uncle in Florida when all the dirty laundry was finally hung out to dry? He sure was a trickster until he tripped himself up....but I don't remember him ever admitting the charade. Exciting though! Maybe better than the flea!
Van

regius

Quick review of a horsehide Avirex B-15

Once in a while you get to bump into a sweet find like this mint 80s Avirex russet HH B-15 with real mouton fur collar. There's the saying that Friends don't tell friends to buy Avirex/Cockpit and Lost Worlds, probably because they are not exact replica but priced almost as such. This baby, however, is a more than acceptable exception, it's used, at a sweet price of $200, I think it's a rare gem.

B-15 in leather? Who'd have thought? Do they actually exist? I'm not sure, I don't even have a nylon B-15 (may buy one from Buzz), but hey, I have been looking for a civilian, practical daily wear flight jacket such as the Eastman civilian flyer, this is perfect for my needs.

To be honest, if I'm not a vintage purist, I would have no problem with Cockpit's fit, they fit wonderfully, lots of rooms and yet stylish. Their leather ages beautifully too and the semi-cotton zipper rib and wool-polyester blend knits lasts forever. So if you can find an ebay Cockpit in half the retail price, definitely consider it.

This russet horsehide is like 2.5oz, thinner than their current HH A2, but it's of a beautiful dark brown shade, quite like the Aero FQHH of Horween. The fit, what can I say, a practical nylon jacket's fit.
79903b08696ac4a4de775f9350bc2ae5_zps714547ae.jpg
[/url][/img]

GoodTimesGone

I have seen and owned many Avirex jackets but have never observed one like yours. I have kept a few of their catalogs from the late '90s-early 2000s. The closest I can find is a cowhide B-15 with removable mouton collar and zip-out lining from the 2001-2002 Vol. 12 Avirex catalog. It retailed for $395.00 in 2002. A couple years later when they changed to the Cockpit label the price went up to $485.00 and then $695.00 in the next catalog. My favorite Avirex jackets are a couple of horsehide A-2s that look somewhat like a Perry and have a trim but comfortable fit. Their lambskin A-2s are comfortable but way oversized to the point you have to go a couple sizes down from your usual. Looks like you have a very nice find there.

regius

GoodTimes, thanks for the comment, I have never thought of the possibility that this could be a rarity. I once also bought for $30 a brand new vintage goatskin, the same they are using now, early A-2, with the button closure pocket, what's the proper name for this type again? I wish they could make a vintage goatskin A2 again.

GoodTimesGone

I'm not sure exactly which jacket you're referring to but A-2s have snap pockets and G-1s have button pockets and mouton fur collars. The Cockpit makes about a half dozen different goatskin models, including vintage styles like the Pearl Harbor and the Flying Tigers, as well as the modern issue A-2s. https://www.cockpitusa.com/men/leather- ... ackets?p=2
Your jacket could be one that was made for the Japanese market. Avirex and later as the Cockpit sold some of their jacket styles exclusively to try to compete with the high end Japanese makers like Buzz Rickson and Toys McCoy. They were often better than the Avirex jackets sold in the U.S. That always kind of peeved me. Like they didn't think the U.S. and other countries would be interested in quality. I know many on these forums look down on Avirex as "mall jackets" but through the years they made some quality jackets that stand out from the rest of their line.