• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 with leather collar

2jakes

Screenshot2012-12-10at10154PM.png

Charles A. Lindbergh (second from the left) in 1927 , looks to be
wearing the A-1 with a leather collar. On his left next to him is
Claire L. Chennault wearing the A-1 with the traditional wool
collar. Unless I'm mistaken & it's not an A-1…but if it is an A-1 ,
that's the first one I've seen of an original. Except for the one I
modified .

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

Dr H

More likely a private purchase jacket, I'd have thought.
I'm not aware that the issued Type A-1 (in the strictest sense, as opposed to an aviator's jacket from the '20s) was available with anything other than a knit collar.
I recently saw the following image of Lindbergh with a better view of his jacket (which has some unique details - not least the treatment of the collar and the cuffs)

Charles-Lindbergh-Excellent-Photograph-Signed-Spirit-of-St-Louis-1024x649.jpg

2jakes

Dr H said:
More likely a private purchase jacket, I'd have thought.
I'm not aware that the issued Type A-1 (in the strictest sense, as opposed to an aviator's jacket from the '20s) was available with anything other than a knit collar.
I recently saw the following image of Lindbergh with a better view of his jacket (which has some unique details - not least the treatment of the collar and the cuffs)

Charles-Lindbergh-Excellent-Photograph-Signed-Spirit-of-St-Louis-1024x649.jpg

The one above doesn't appear to be leather , I'm wondering if besides leather ,
canvas or wool was also used back in the early days as well.

Dr H

Here the more usual shot:

LindberghStLouis.jpg

Interestingly, when they made the movie (Spirit of St Louis, 1957), they put Jimmy Stewart in cloth (a poor replica):

stewart-as-charles-lindbergh.jpg

I still can't get past the thought that it looks like the drape of capeskin though...

2jakes

Dr H said:

LindberghStLouis.jpg

This is the one jacket that got me hooked on leather !

On the photo below :
The pilot on Lindbergh's right has the A-1 with the pockets placed up high…or for a
more plain look or perhaps so they won't get in the way…tuck them in like the fellow
on the right.

164134148-lindbergh15887.jpg

While previewing , I noticed the " Top Hat " insignia on the left side.
Wonder what that would be ?

Dr H

The Strike Fighter Squadron 14 (VFA-14) "Tophatters" are a United States Navy fighter attack squadron based at Naval Air Station Lemoore. They fly the F/A-18E Super Hornet, and are the Navy's oldest active squadron, having formed in 1919. Their callsign is Camelot, and their tail code is NG.

Apparently...

'The Top Hatters'

ausreenactor

2jakes said:
Dr H said:

LindberghStLouis.jpg

This is the one jacket that got me hooked on leather !

On the photo below :
The pilot on Lindbergh's right has the A-1 with the pockets placed up high…or for a
more plain look or perhaps so they won't get in the way…tuck them in like the fellow
on the right.

While previewing , I noticed the " Top Hat " insignia on the left side.
Wonder what that would be ?

Interesting to see the internal pockets and collar snap? Could this be something other than an A-1, given the Naval squadron insignia? A 27-J-1 perhaps?

Couchy

2jakes

Interesting to see the internal pockets and collar snap? Could this be something other than an A-1, given the Naval squadron insignia? A 27-J-1 perhaps?

Couchy[/quote]

I believe it's an A-1…the buttons are still attached.
The pocket flaps either were removed or tucked in . Probably the
latter…but I could be mistaken !

Dr H

I'm not so sure that these are A-1 jackets. Couchy's point is that these are not patch pockets, but hidden with just the flap showing.
I'm more convinced of a separate naval designation. JC will probably know.

2jakes

Dr H said:
I'm not so sure that these are A-1 jackets. Couchy's point is that these are not patch pockets, but hidden with just the flap showing.
I'm more convinced of a separate naval designation. JC will probably know.

You're Right :oops:
I didn't notice it until now…very astute observation !
What the heck is a 27-J-1 :?: I've never seen one .

fleet16b

Also if you look at the knit collars , they are not your traditional 2 button A1 collars but more like a varsity jacket collar

2jakes

fleet16b said:
Also if you look at the knit collars , they are not your traditional 2 button A1 collars but more like a varsity jacket collar

On TCM , a while back I saw a silent movie , " The Flying Fleet " ( 1929 ). Most of
the jackets were in the A-1 style. Even though it was in black & white , I noticed
the different color shades of leather that each pilot was wearing. Some were light ,
others were a darker shade of leather. All were very trim with deep inset sleeves &
appeared to be very soft almost like wearing a sweater. So I guess back then , there
must have been a variety of "A-1" style jackets besides the traditional ones that have
survived . I would like to know who makes an A-1 in the tradition of the early ones ?

Dr H

2jakes said:
fleet16b said:

On TCM , a while back I saw a silent movie , " The Flying Fleet " ( 1929 ). Most of
the jackets were in the A-1 style. Even though it was in black & white , I noticed
the different color shades of leather that each pilot was wearing. Some were light ,
others were a darker shade of leather. All were very trim with deep inset sleeves &
appeared to be very soft almost like wearing a sweater. So I guess back then , there
must have been a variety of "A-1" style jackets besides the traditional ones that have
survived . I would like to know who makes an A-1 in the tradition of the early ones ?

Good Wear - just received an early pattern A-1.

zoomer

I think what you're calling a "27J1" is actually 37J1, the BuAer name for the A-1 with chest pockets and (usually) a rounded collar with a snap fastening. Note also the 6, not 5, button front.

The "Top Hat" fliers above were part of the Navy's 9 High Hats aerobatic team, founded in the late '20s. All were drawn from the original Top Hatters, VF-1B, assigned to USS Saratoga.

The picture with Lindy shows Lt(jg)'s Frank O'Beirne, L, and Fred Kivette, R. It was taken at the 1929 Cleveland National Air Races.