• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 Flight Jacket Breast Patch?

alcon

I'm considering putting a breast patch on my repro A-1 flight jacket. I presently have a Hq AAF (propeller) shoulder patch on the jacket. I would like to know what breast patches would be appropriate and the proper size. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

capt71

Hi alcon,
If it's a Squadron patch, it should go on the left breast side (above the pocket). The name tag would be above the patch. My father's A-2 patch is 5-1/4 inches in diameter, although sizes would vary from squadron to squadron. Other unit (Group, etc) patches would usually be placed on the right breast side.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
capt71 said:
Hi alcon,
If it's a Squadron patch, it should go on the left breast side (above the pocket). The name tag would be above the patch.

On an A-1 the name tag was much lower, being attached immediately above the left pocket.

alcon

I've seen only a couple of pictures of original A-1s with name tags and often wondered if they were made like the leather name tags seen frequently on A-2s. Were they leather? Any closeup pics of these A-1 name tags?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
alcon said:
I've seen only a couple of pictures of original A-1s with name tags and often wondered if they were made like the leather name tags seen frequently on A-2s. Were they leather? Any closeup pics of these A-1 name tags?

No, they're not like the A-2 tags. We have discussed them before, possibly on the great A-1 thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=0

... trouble is, you need to wade through 80 pages.

alcon

Thanks David,

I went through all of the pics on the 80 pages you mentioned. The tags on the jackets appear to be made out of canvas with either stitched names or ink printed names. It is difficult to determine name tag size. The best pic I found is on page 1.

unclegrumpy

I have seen early pictures showing A-1's with name tags that have painted letters as well.....and do not recall seeing any placed anywhere but directly above the pocket. I do recall a later 1930's group shot that had guys mostly wearing A-2's, but did have a few old timers still in A-1's with name tags placed mid chest. It might have been on the Forum, but I could not find it.

Given the inconstancies, my suspicion is that there was not a specific regulation regarding name tags in the time frame before the A-2 came out, and maybe not even until closer to WW II when you start to see the narrow stamped leather name strips consistently being used. The leather name strips are in the 1943 AAF QM manual, but I know were in use before the war....how much before I am not sure, though my guess is the late 1930's.

Maybe one of you guys has a reference for their specific start date....that would be interesting to know.

alcon

Anybody know what A-1 name tags were made of and what was used to put names on them? I've read through the 80 pages mentioned earlier without any luck.

dmar836

The 4th post of that link on the first page shows two airmen with name tags affixed. Those are about all I have seen. I suppose, as rare as original A-1s are, that there are unlikely any better images than these period shots. Therefore, unless there is someone here from the early AAC to help, I'd suggest it is up to a certain amount of interpretation.
My guess is that it was 1" white cotton webbing with ink-stamped letters.
Other ideas?
Dave

CBI

I made an offer the last time it was on eBay. I wonder if someone actually paid the $800 for it?

alcon

Yes, I've been trying to make up my mind. Right now, I'm leaning toward not putting one on my jacket. Thanks