• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

93 Bomb Squadron

atkins

Made this patch for Dr.H. Using shiny enamel paint. Here's several original artwork we could find and the last one is my reproduction of it. Hope you like it Ian.
5259917263_723f8cf1cc.jpg

5259917275_4c8826701e.jpg

5260523344_10c515cf5b.jpg

Best,
Oscar

EMBLEMHUNTER

Nicely done patch , one small item you missed , the Indian has a tooth showing from upper and lower jaw near front of mouth if you look closely you can make them out in your posted photo example .
Johnny

atkins

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Nicely done patch , one small item you missed , the Indian has a tooth showing from upper and lower jaw near front of mouth if you look closely you can make them out in your posted photo example .
Johnny

Thanks very much Johnny, i must be blind!

EMBLEMHUNTER

atkins said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Johnny

Thanks very much Johnny, i must be blind!
Hey friend, it's one of those things with a lot of patches , the details at times are small and easiliy missed, when I first started doing patches 25+ years ago I missed small details here and there, but as I progressed I began to notice more and more the small subtle things and "variations" , those are one of the big things to know and catch when making a patch are the "variations" , not all units had them but quite a few did.

Either in the emblem itself and or the colors , but again this is a very fun and enjoyable hobby/business line to work in.
Keep up the Great work !!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

unclegrumpy

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Hey friend, it's one of those things with a lot of patches , the details at times are small and easiliy missed, when I first started doing patches 25+ years ago I missed small details here and there, but as I progressed I began to notice more and more the small subtle things and "variations" , those are one of the big things to know and catch when making a patch are the "variations" , not all units had them but quite a few did.
Well said Johnny!

In this case I think we are looking at some fairly major variations, between the unit's WW I design and their WW II design.

The center artwork is their approved WW I aircraft insignia. If you look closely, you can see the WW I Aero roundel on the head dress, Iron Cross "kill" necklace, and the general use of the red, white, and blue used in WW I aircraft insignia colors.

Interestingly, squadron patches were not often worn in WW I, but pilots did wear sterling silver squadron pins above or below their wings. The 93rd had a very nice pin, but beware there are near perfect reproductions of it.

I found a neat link to the WW I history of this insignia: http://www.917wg.afrc.af.mil/news/story ... =123174492

The upper patch is a much later design, probably dating from early to mid WW II, though it could be a little later as well. I have seen this version before, but have not tried to researched it. Maybe someone else has, and could pin down exactly when it was used. I will say it looks to be Australian made, and that would fit into the unit's earlier WW II service.

The 93rd Bomb Squadron has one of those classic designs that has been around a long time. I bet they have had a number of neat variations over the years, and it would be really interesting to see them all lined up for comparison.

unclegrumpy

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
The B-17 "Suzy Q" carried a version of the "latter" 93rd on her nose similar to the posted one .

Excellent tip Johnny!

That made it easy to find a link to a photo of Suzy Q's nose art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B-17E ... Suzy-Q.jpg

And, better yet a link to where the photo of the WW II patch was harvested from, and who originally owned it. The Lee Clark link is especially interesting, and there are some great shots from the 93rd's early war service in the Pacific:

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/usaaf/leenclark.htm

With this, we now know WW II 93rd patch is from early in the war and where it was worn. It would still be nice to see the patch in person to be able to say for sure, but I think this just about confirms it is Australian made.

I wish researching these WW II patches was always this easy and fruitful. In my experience, getting information this good, is just about as rare as the patches are.

Thanks again Johnny!

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey Unclegrumpy, glad to help when I can, I know what you mean about the info etc on patches and thier begginings etc etc, I had a black and white photo from a book on night fighter aircraft that had a unit patch shown that was "Unofficial" but was worn as thier unit's patch, anyway for close to 20 years I searched for someone,anyone who knew the colors for this one, I knew it had been made into the patch form via the book photo and several others I subsequently located.
Long story short I FINALLY got a full color breakdown etc from an actual unit pilot of this unit , and to say I was Pleased is the understatement of the year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been tracking down WW-2 USAAF/USN/USMC flying unit patches/emblems of the "Unofficial" form for well over 25 years along with the "Officially" approved ones , there are many I've gotten but many more I still need either ID's and or colors to, but this is the fun and fascinating ongiong hobby that I enjoy very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey if you have any you need ID help with or color help with PM me and I'll be glad to help if I can , I got a lot of odd ones nailed down , happy patch hunting-making , etc etc etc !!!!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

EMBLEMHUNTER

Just got a phone call today from the Daughter of a WW-2 B-17 Navigator , he was with the 401st Bomb Group, I had a posting on another site asking if anyone had a color example of the 612th Bomb Squadron that had the Bear standing with a bomb ready to throw , she saw it and called me and was very nice to e mail me a color copy of the image !
She found it among her Father's items and knew I was searching for this, it is either silkscreened onto cardboard or possibly a decal , but it is full color and I have finally put this elusive one to rest , at least to the proper colors for it, I have seen a few small blurry black and white photos of both a cloth and a leather patch on ackets of the design, and noted that the border is somewhat different than the color image , I think this is only because when it was made into "actual" patch form the design was easier to apply with the border re-worked .

Anyway if you would like to see the image PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you , Happy New Year to all !!!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

shedonwanna

here is the 612th i've seen. wouldn't mind seeing a color copy of the early mangler version - will pm you...

612thbs.jpg

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Please post the image on the VLJ for me , thanks !
Johnny
AKA
WeBeEmblems

Here is the patch Johnny found - the web is such an amazing research tool. You can make a few posts and find an example of an obscure piece of artwork!

612thbs_mangler.jpg