• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Bomb Group Homemade patch

deand

Made this one a while ago when I was first getting into A-2 jackets and their adornments. I liked the design of the Group emblem. I guess this would make the wearer of this jacket group staff. It's a little big, so I tell myself it was field produced, not quite up to commercial standard.

mms_picture7.jpg

mms_picture6.jpg

mms_picture8.jpg

dean

Weasel_Loader

Your right. That would be consistsant with pilot or aircrew assigned at the group level. Some units would wear group patch on one side and squadron on other. During WW2 there was no standard on which side the group and squadron patches went. It was most common to have wing patch on left and squad on right though.

Nice job on the patch. A little big, but like you mention, there were quite a few varieties produced in the field.

EMBLEMHUNTER

If memory serves me I "think" there was a size reg something along the lines of the patch (Sqd or Grp) was to be at least 5 inches and no bigger then 6 , but as stated the regs usually weren't followed , and I've seen both oversized and under sized , so it really isn't that big of deal on yours , good job !!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

deand

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
If memory serves me I "think" there was a size reg something along the lines of the patch (Sqd or Grp) was to be at least 5 inches and no bigger then 6 , but as stated the regs usually weren't followed , and I've seen both oversized and under sized , so it really isn't that big of deal on yours , good job !!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

Thank you, Johnny, It was my first attempt trying to make my own stuff. I would like to be more adept at them, but find that I get impatient with the amount of concentration it takes to be good at it. Plus, original images to work from would have helped. I did that patch from a photo of a metal DUI pin that I found on the net. Later, I found images that would have been more appropriate for a jacket patch. It's a future area of work i might approach again someday.

dean

EMBLEMHUNTER

I don't recall which site it was on but there's a site out there where you can down load the whole book about the "approved " WW-2 USAAF Group and Squadron emblems , they're shown in black and white line drawn details , but they also have a color guide description of the colors , your patch was one in this Group book.
Maybe one of the forum members knows that site I'm talking about , well worth doing , I have both the actual books and they are a Treasure to have , also done many many hours searching books ; the net etc for the "Unofficial" types of the USAAF/USN/USMC and have aquired quite a few interesting images of those too , love the hunt and it'san ongoing and fascinating one at that !!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
:)

shedonwanna

Johnny,
Another reference I like for Marine Corps Aviation is Jeff Millstein's reference:

U.S. Marine Corps Aviation Unit Insignia (1941-1946)

don't let your brushes dry out...dlmiller

EMBLEMHUNTER

Oh Yeah, Jeff's book is a must have to us patch makers and it's one I do have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A GREAT one for "original" and thier details/colors !
Johnny(WeBeEmblems)