• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

788th Bombardment Squadron

jbmilart

Just finished my full color, painted paper template, of the 788th bombardment Squadron... I have always used a fully painted paper template for all my patch artwork... before ever putting paint to leather... I get a better feel of the artwork... I put all these templates into a binder with all my research for each individual squadron... encase I have to duplacate a patch, I will have the complete work up of each patch, including all colors and my notes on how I approached the artwork... Also paper is a heck of a lot easier, and cheaper, to put into a loose leaf binder than leather!

Jim
004788thBombardmentSquadron.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Very cool design in your typical style. What I like about your patches is that they don't look like a computer print out, done by hand.

Good that you keep such records of each design, I never did when painting patches and could never get it exactly right if a guy sent a reference to one of my earlier patches to duplicate.

jbmilart

Yeah, I had a couple of patches I had to duplicate soon after I sold the only patch I had... Had to go through the whole entire proccess again... won't let that happen again!... In fact, I've had a few patches I had to duplicate reciently... and the system works!... Takes a lot of stress out of the work!... Just set it up and go!

Jim

EMBLEMHUNTER

Good idea of the colors used and the design in general !
What I do when I make a patch and there's a possibility of another down the road , I take good close up color photos of each , that way I have like you a record to check the design against .

I take photos of all my work anyway , just to have in a "show album" I carry with me to airshows and militaria events .

Johnny

jbmilart

Well, I can't take credit for either the design or the colors... they came directly from the Maurer Maurer's book "Combat Squadrons of the Air Force in World War II". The older black and white photos of the emblems are very good, but the discription of colors used in all the emblems in the book... is a gold mine of information!
I too, take photos of my artwork... but actually having a full scale drawing, both lined and painted templates... including my notes of the artwork... helps me in duplicating the artwork almost exactly as the first, with only few minor adjustments. The only adjustments I made on the 788th artwork, was the .50 cal. machine gun and the color of the aerial depth charge bomb. The rest is almost as described in the book.

Jim

EMBLEMHUNTER

When painting more than one of the same emblem , I have found that "slight" variations in the design/colors are more "true" to how the originals were done in WW-2 , I'm sure that the artists back then never got any two "exactly" alike , and I think this lends more to thier looking "authentic" than if they looked like they all came off a zerox machine .

Yes having the "exact size" color example is good too as you mention , that I don't have a problem with as I have a means of keeping the size the same on multiple patches .

Your work is awesome !