• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$785 for this?

zoomer

Schott Waxed Natural Pebbled Cowhide A-2 Leather Flight Jacket
574_BRN_FRT_STILL_DSC_02471.jpg

My first ever A-2 was a Schott. Hershey-bar-brown goat, poly-cotton liner, super-low neckline, close-set pockets, short body, extra-long sleeves, insta-pill acrylic knits. It cost $240 in 1992. That's about $430 today.

This one looks better - but $355 better? Is that the premium for MADE IN USA?

It sure seems as tho USCockWingsUSA and similar makers mutually reinforce not only one another's jacket prices, but the high-end makers' prices as well. Because if you think the Schott cow or CPT horse are worth $700 and change, and then find out about the high-end makers, you'll consider their product a steal at the $1,000 and up level.

Last edited:

stanier

I have a good friend who bought a Schott A-2.

He believes they are superb original ww2 supplier to the USAAF. He’s told me and other mutual friends all about it several times now.

Last time I saw it I recall the two piece back and seam across the shoulders, awful sack like fit and rubbery looking characterless leather.

I haven’t got the heart to put him straight, he’s such a nice bloke. He paid £600 for it an a sale I think.

silvio76

I have a good friend who bought a Schott A-2.

He believes they are superb original ww2 supplier to the USAAF. He’s told me and other mutual friends all about it several times now.

Last time I saw it I recall the two piece back and seam across the shoulders, awful sack like fit and rubbery looking characterless leather.

I haven’t got the heart to put him straight, he’s such a nice bloke. He paid £600 for it an a sale I think.
600£?! Ouch!

Teddy

I had bought A2's from Cockpit USA (even gave one to my brother). Back when I didn't know better I thought they looked fine. My idea was that I wanted a jacket that would have been issued to the USAAF today.

Then I realized just how ugly these 100% Made in USA really are, having digging deeper here on VLJF. These Made in USA brands with their baggy and ugly designs are quite a let down to their predecessors. Perhaps due to budgetary concerns, there's no respect to the original design and pattern. I'd go for Not Made in USA anytime over 100% Made in USA.

On another note, Schott's peacoat is annoying to me as well. Never 100% wool. I'd much prefer spending $50 and get a 1990 Sterlingwear of Boston's 100% wool enlisted peacoat than to get an overpriced crap that you cannot recycle in a few decades. Fast fashion brands like H&M are dumping enough non-recyclable craps to Africa and I do not wish to contribute to that.

Last edited: