• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

56th FG Pictures

Stony

While down in California two weeks ago, I found these two photographs in an antique store. Both are of pilots from the 56th FG.

This is ace Paul Conger standing by a P-47 and on the back he wrote the following.

"Boxted, England "ops" field. For two tours, 168 missions, the last to Berlin and back over 500 miles each way +20 minutes of combat wide open throttle".

paulconger.jpg

On the back of this photo is written, "Paul Conger center, WWII ace, 9 kills, shot down once".

Notice how all three pilots are wearing A-2s under their tanker jackets. The pilot on the right has a survival whistle hanging from the snap on his A-2 and also has a B-2 cap while the other two are wearing their crushers.

56thfgpilots.jpg

deand

Yes, thanks for the great pictures! How warm would you be with both jackets on?

dean

Andreart

when my father was in north africa, he slept in his a-2, no shirt just the jacket. i guess thats where i get my penchant for leather jackets.

Stony

First picture isn't Boxted though, I think it's Horsham St Faith near Norwich, UK.

Conger is the one who wrote on the back of the picture that it was Boxted, so I figured he knew where he was.