• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

55J14 banged out today :)

gruvi

My neighbor called me this morning to tell me he was free to do some work if I wanted. I took over a few jackets and he said he can do my 55J14 now, and have my 7823aer done by tomorrow or next day. This was for replacing knits all around, repair of lining and replace mouton collar and finish with conditioning leather. He invited me to stay and hang out and even help if I wanted to and I did. I learned a lot about what is involved and understand why some repairers charge the high fees for the services I got today.
So I made some pictures. I wished I made more befores of all the jackets, and better befores of my 55J, but oh well :)
After the work I just could have listened to him when he suggested the shorten the wrist cuffs some...they are long now, but I live I learn and I can pull them over my hands on colder days :D (since this is a personal wearer, please ignore I went off the purist route with knit selection)

Here we go...

The lining separation isnt clear in this pic due to poor image and my handstitch job, but it was a wreck in this area with moulting, ugly mouton
IMG_20120322_133144.jpg

After original waistband removed (moth holed but salvagable so I kept it for another need down the road)
IMG_20120322_133153.jpg

IMG_20120322_133205.jpg

Here it is done but not beauty prepped for photos. Still has work room lint and artifacts from the shop on it. Will look better after some detailed sprucing up :)
IMG_20120322_174552.jpg

IMG_20120322_174634.jpg

IMG_20120322_174652.jpg

IMG_20120322_174715.jpg

IMG_20120322_174733.jpg

IMG_20120322_174853.jpg

gruvi

More :D :D

IMG_20120322_174527.jpg

IMG_20120322_174547.jpg

I think he did a fantastic job and he expertly reused the holes in the jacket. He even made proper finishes to the seams running down the arms length where someone in the past did a less then stellar cuff repair. Now my arms slide into the sleeves with no more prickly feeling from that old repair. I love the healthy mouton and overall it just feels like a new jacket that some company distressed on purpose. I cant wait to see the others he is going to finish for me.

I hope the photos are okay. Pleasemlet me know what you think? Thanks for looking.
Gerard

B-Man2

Nice work on the jacket but....if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose those knits?

gruvi

Hi, thanks.
I like the color green, and I like how it changes the look from what we know it looks like typically. I guess I wanted to give it a twist :)

B-Man2 said:
Nice work on the jacket but....if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose those knits?

Dr H

It looks like your neighbour has done some fine repair work on the jacket - wish he lived in my neighbourhood! :lol:
I can understand your choice of knit colour, but it is done at the expense of resale value for many of the people (and particularly purists) who will see their first job as 'replacing the knits' and undoing the good work.
It looks like the jacket will be an enjoyable regular wearer!

gruvi

Dr H said:
It looks like your neighbour has done some fine repair work on the jacket - wish he lived in my neighbourhood! :lol:
I can understand your choice of knit colour, but it is done at the expense of resale value for many of the people (and particularly purists) who will see their first job as 'replacing the knits' and undoing the good work.
It looks like the jacket will be an enjoyable regular wearer!
Yeah, that is why I stated in my post it wasnt for the purist :) I have the genuine early knits and could have gone that route, but I really already knew this jacket will be my kick around piece for cool nights out in the city etc. I am expecting to keep it so I was okay with the knit choice. My pictures were hurried and not in the best lighting so color looks more odd. It actually looks aesthetically pleasing in person. So far the only person that saw it was my wife, but she loathes the flight jackets, so she doesn't count :)

unclegrumpy

Calm down!

My understanding is originally, Aero's berry knits looked that way. So given time, maybe those knits will ripen up too! :D

ripe-and-unripe-berries-of-wild-blackberry-thumb18341634.jpg

dmar836

LOL. I think it's fine to experiment with these knits - it's all temporary after all. I would not likely have chosen these but maybe a light brown to be different - so it looked like a variant. You are a bit safer with the greens on a nylon jacket of about any color. Either way, wear it hard!
The Japanese did this and it was okay until it got out of hand and now we have $3000 pink A-2s!
Sounds like your neighbor is both knowledgeable and sharing. Good find!
Dave

gruvi

Thanks Dave.
My neighbor really impressed me with how he did everything. He told me that when he was working a long time back with a leathermaster shop in NYC, he worked on a lot of the vintage WWII and later flight jackets for clients. The NYC prices were high e.g. to change the mouton was $200 and cuffs alone were $150.
I went with the sage green knowing later I can always ask him to go back to genuine knits due to his affordable prices.
I think for a mouton he charges somewhere like $80 if you will supply the pelt. I have a large laskin ladies coat in excellent condition that gave us the mouton for the collar you see here. It will yield many collars so I'm going to get all the moulted collared flight jackets I own done by him. I should have a lot of material left when I'm done for any future project needs. :)

dmar836

LOL, I have such a woman's coat that was so nice I hated to destroy it - I'm nostalgic to the end and could envision it in it's prime at hoity-toity dinner parties etc. But I can't see my wife donning such a thing - fairly pretentious nowadays at least in our circles so it will live on in other forms.
Wait till you see the Mouton/WEP mod I'll be doing!
BTW, where did you get the olive knits?

Dave

gruvi

Cant wait to see yor WEP!

I got the knits off ebay. They are wool. Today I took time to wet the cuffs with hot water and fast dried them with a hair dryer and they look much better than when freshly placed. ;)

I am going to stop over my neighbors in a bit to get the lowdown on my 7823aer next in line. It will have correct knits on it, I promise :D

HHjackets

if you don't mind me saying ... horrible knits but as they say, it's your jacket.
i looked at the images on the previous page and thought the jacket is not finished yet ... i thought the knits are to go ... but then i read the posts and they are to stay.

Peter Graham

I'm not sure of your motives for fitting those knits but the workmanship is very good. That's a really nice jacket with great patina. Shame about the lack of label and an even bigger shame about the knits. It's your jacket mate but I think you're trying just a little too hard to be 'gruvi'.

gruvi

He finished my 7823 today too. Proper knits and all and I will make pics to ease you guys that are put off from my greens (for which he took back to shorten the cuffs) :)
*e will be happy to hear you at least like his craftsmanship :)

gruvi

Hi Peter
Tag was already missing when I bought the jacket. I just asked him to pull out the remaining bits. Its a late forties L.W Foster.
Again, knits are for my enjoyment. I can place correct knits later as I have some sets set aside. :D

Peter Graham said:
I'm not sure of your motives for fitting those knits but the workmanship is very good. That's a really nice jacket with great patina. Shame about the lack of label and an even bigger shame about the knits. It's your jacket mate but I think you're trying just a little too hard to be 'gruvi'.