• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

539th FIS L-2B

Stony

I just got this L-2B at a garage sale this weekend. The label was removed, but I'm pretty sure it's from the early 60s based on the satin looking lining and that it has the USAF stencil on the left arm, but I'm not absolutely sure. Conmatic zipper and button flap at the bottom. It also has the snap down epaulets. I'm also not sure who the maker was, but if anyone has any insight as to its age and maker, I would appreciate it.

The cuffs have some seperation/nips and there is a wear area on the arm pocket, but otherwise the jacket is in good shape. Captain's rank, F-106 and 539th patch are embroidered. The name plate was removed long also as you can see the stitch holes above the F-106 Dart patch. I looked up some info on the 539th and they were the first unit in the ADC to get the F-106 in May of 1959.

I believe it is a size large based on its fit on me as I'm wearing a 44 these days. Here are the measurements.

Armpit to armpit across the front: 23"
Arm length from shoulder to end of cuff: 26"
Shoulders across the back: 19 3/4"
Back from collar to end of waist: 24 1/2"

l2bx.jpg

539thfisl2b.jpg

f106patch.jpg

l2brank.jpg

l2bzip.jpg

l2bpencilpocket.jpg

l2blining.jpg

l2bknits.jpg

l2bback.jpg

Atticus

Stony, its a 1960 Skyline. The only L-2B contract with the roundrel and the orange lining.

AF

Phantomfixer

Great jacket, good it hasn't been washed and shrunk ugh. great pathces.....

What is a good reference source for nylon flight jackets. Libraries are filled with books on AAF flight gear, I do not see too much for the nylon jackets....

great score!!
AF I just read your prior threads on reference material.....
Thanks
JZ

Willy McCoy

Absolutely fabulous jacket! Good score! Of course you must've inquired from the selling party any information on the jacket. I would love to have it if you grow weary of looking at it. ;)