• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

532nd, 381st BG I painted.

Chris217

In the early 90's I use to really enjoy painting leather insignia. Back then I used Testors Model Master paint as I was trying to get that authentic WW2 lead based painted look. I wanted to paint patches that could have passed for a patch painted in 1943. I could never achieve this look to my satisfaction, and after numerous attempts, and lack of time, I stopped painting. I bet I haven't picked up a paint brush in 15 years.

Here's a 532nd BS 381st BG patch I painted and slightly aged. I did this patch in 1992.
001-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi Chris that very good why dont you pick up the brush again .You work is better than a lot of the original artwork done during the war .

All the best Jeff

Chris217

Thanks Jeff!

After watchin you guys make some really awesome insignia's, I've got the urge to start painting again!

I wanna to try and do a insignia using "One Shot Sign Paint." It's suppose to be pretty close to WW2 style paint. I haven't been able to find it anywhere around here, so I'm sure I'll have to order it.

I really want to master that period painted look and create insignia's and jacket art that will age and crack EXACTLY like the ones on originals.

A

Anonymous

Chris I think you Should with so many fine artists on the forum there is a wealth of help there if you need it and also this will help you to achieve the finished style to the level you are happy with .We can all give the benefit of our experience to help where as before you were on your own .I say go for it Chris !,I will buy one off you .

All the best Jeff

PS happy birthday to you Chris have a good one

EMBLEMHUNTER

Chris ,I think the "One Shot" paint will be fairly hard to find as I've been told it's a lead based paint, Lead being a hazzardous material now days. Anyway if/when you do find it be sure to heed the warnings it will have on the can etc .

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Chris ,I think the "One Shot" paint will be fairly hard to find as I've been told it's a lead based paint, Lead being a hazzardous material now days. Anyway if/when you do find it be sure to heed the warnings it will have on the can etc .

One Shot is available. Here is a link where you can find a long list of distributors:

http://www.1shot.com/home.html

Lead is not that bad unless you ingest it. All my fishing weights are lead ...

Silver Dollar

In my opinion, that patch looks pretty good. I suspect you're a perfectionist like I am and we're never fully satisfied with what we do. That's what keeps us sharp and it makes us constantly working for improvement. One shot paint is a pretty good material. That's the state of the art paint for pinstripers ala Von Dutch style. It flows well and is not supposed to set up too fast like acrylic does. Just ddon't eat the stuff. I never did like the taste.