• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.50 Cal or Pearl Harbor Eastman -Which is best

Persimmon

What is the difference between the .50 Cal or Pearl Harbor
Which is best
Any suggestions for purchasing
Alan

havocpaul

My opinion is that the 50.cal is more uniform in the wear than the PH; from seeing the PH jackets at Duxford on the ELC stand there seems to be quite a variety of wear, a few years ago I was able to select one that had incredible finish to the hide and really did look like a 60 year old jacket, others didn't look the same. The 50.Cal although having a 'vintage' finish does seem very similar between each jacket. Of course the 50.Cal also is based on the Aero contract so has the berry coloured knits and lighter lining. Another alternative is to choose any other A-2 and go for the 'Time Worn' finish, you can when ordering choose how much wear you want to the hide, I believe it is the same finish as the PH but spread across all jackets. So which is best? That's a matter of personal choice I guess.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
havocpaul said:
Another alternative is to choose any other A-2 and go for the 'Time Worn' finish, you can when ordering choose how much wear you want to the hide ...

If you do it this way, you can select from any of the original maker contracts in horsehide, and if you decide to age the jacket yourself, this option is cheaper than a steerhide house A-2.

Tim P

At the Eastman stand I have tried on several pearl harbour jackets and found that the collars sit oddly. whether wear would lessen that I cant say.
If seeking a roughwear lookalike I would plumb for a roughwear

Persimmon

Tim. When you say the Pearl Harbor collar sat oddly was that both collar clipped down and upclipped ?
I tend to always wear the my A2's clipped down.
Now there is a discussion which is best ???
Alan

Tim P

I can't recall. All I know is that they all sat uncomfortably leading me to dismiss the jacket as an option. I prefer unsnapped.

shiloh

Persimmon said:
What is the difference between the .50 Cal or Pearl Harbor
Which is best
Any suggestions for purchasing
Alan

.50 Cal is the ELC version of the Aero Leather jacket. But I guess they are not allowed or do not want to use the name Aero. But it's the typical Aero type jacket according the shape of the pocket corners and the red dull cuffs. But it's steer instead of horse.

The PH jackes are the normal time worn ELC steer house jackets.

regards,

shiloh