• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Star USL A-2

DJS48

Thanks for the reply YoungMedic, I'll watch for the information you will provide.
Regards, Don

ties70

I am definitely one of the more fervent advocats for FS's development, but I must admit that the choices in leather are not a real step forward at the moment... Sheepskins yes, but A-2 leather options besides the "Dubow goat"...? Not so much.

Collar shapes are even a step backwards...

Hope that they will get back on track!

bellumbill

I am definitely one of the more fervent advocats for FS's development, but I must admit that the choices in leather are not a real step forward at the moment... Sheepskins yes, but A-2 leather options besides the "Dubow goat"...? Not so much.

Collar shapes are even a step backwards...

Hope that they will get back on track!

Ties -

Do you think this is a symptom of increasing production or a supply chain issue? Or both??

Thanks!
Bill K.

ties70

Ties -

Do you think this is a symptom of increasing production or a supply chain issue? Or both??

Thanks!
Bill K.

Bill,

honestly I don't know... The FiveStar sub brand is a growing but still relativley small business for @Shawn Ali 's company...their major business is making large amounts of jackets for other companies and retailers, I think.

So, while increasing production numbers for these classic customers might not be an issue for Shawn, the increasing demand from people at FB, VLJ or the FL could very well be the exact opposite...

We are a demanding crowd, with expectations that differ from the regular fashion customer 180° degrees:

- they want hand warmer pocket, we don't...
- they want the inside pockets, we don't...
- they want baby smooth, ultra soft leather, we don't...
- they want the cheap, smooth running zipper, we want the sticky, authentic one...

I think the work crew at FS had a hard time to learn, that with flight jackets perfection is different from what they have been taught...so...yes, maybe additional business is a challenge for Shawn, especially when it comes to trained machinist and cutters. Being so focused on customization might not help much either.

Materials are quite similiar.
Shawn had to source new hides, linings, knits...while at the same time keeping in mind that he caters the "350 $ jacket guy", not the customers of ELC or GW.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of proof that Shawn is willing to constantly improve...I love his sheepskins and I personally think the "Dubow goat" is every inch on par with stuff I handled from RMNZ or ELC. His steer seems decent, too.

As @Shawn Ali has posted some photos of his brother at European fabric and leather fairs, I am confident that we will see some new and better hides, soon.

Ties

bellumbill

Also, curious, do we know if that jacket listed above is a recently made FS United? From what I can tell from watching FS develop is oftentimes their first several jackets in a new run are not quite there - takes some tweaks to get them up to speed. Perhaps this jacket was an early run? I have an early FS Bronco with the weird shoulders - eventually he worked it out.

Best,
Bill K.

YoungMedic

I have seen the 5-star site and I got to wondering if they're generally okay for what you pay for them?
More than OK I think, it's been discussed at length in the past as to what Shawn delivers in rapid fashion for the prices he offers. I have been very happy with the A1 and the A2 that I have received, so much so that I've just initiated another A2 order on one of Shawn's new contracts. Yes there are instances here and there of perceived quality or manufacturing issues and in almost all the cases I have seen Shawn stands behind his product at great lengths. So i am confident if there are any issues I have with my latest order they will be addressed in a high level.

So for 250-350 bucks for a totally custom leather jacket with a high level of customer service included. I'd say yeah, that's pretty great for this arena.

Juanito

I have seen the 5-star site and I got to wondering if they're generally okay for what you pay for them?
For the most part, absolutely. We were paying $310-$355 for horsehide Avirex A-2s in the 1980s and for the most part, the 5 Star jackets are far better representations. You just have to pick and choose. That said, for a few bucks more you can get a new Platon jacket or a higher end repro used.

Last edited:

WingAndaPrayer

For the most part, absolutely. We were paying $310-$355 for horsehide Avirex A-2s in the 1980s and for the most part, the 5 Star jackets are far better representations. You just have to pick and choose. That said, for a few bucks more you can get a new Platon jacket or a higher end repro used.
Not to mention the finish on the 5star horse hide has a tendency to peel off like a sunburn.