• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 star goat skin thickness?

Blackboxr1200s

Appreciate it! I have done the measurement from one of my jackets and was pretty much able to determine the 5star dubow suze i need (also a large wirh added body length and sleeve length) but am not able to determine the actual sleeve length unless I have the length of the epaulet. So your help is appreciated! Also I have been in communication with shawn over this last week but he has not been responsive for the last couple of days. Not sure if he is taking a couple days off or if he's under the weather. Normally he responds back pretty quick.

Not 5 Star (but once again leathers from the subcontinent) I've got a first gen AVILTHR Bronco from 2018, very nice leather and thickness. But it's the same as with all veg tanned leathers in that the drape is far stiffer than an original had.

You need to beat the shit out of it and really wear the bejesus out of it to get it behaving like an original.

With that said I would never sell it, perfect fit and now (once I've kicked the shit out of it) it looks the dog's danglies.

Long and short of it - there's some good stuff out of Pakistan but it might need a heavy hand to make it look good.

Mind you that's like all leather jackets, they look better the worse you treat them.
I've thought about putting them in a tumble dryer on low temp setting to soften them up. Might speed the process a bit.

Blackboxr1200S

Tumble dryer might help a bit, but select the "freshen up" program... Cold air and put it in a protective bag to avoid damage to pockets or zipper.
But Smithy gets it and that's what I do, wear it to work or wherever you go, in the car.
At home, roll it in a ball and sit on the damn thing and it will look awesome in time. :)

Tumble dryer might help a bit, but select the "freshen up" program... Cold air and put it in a protective bag to avoid damage to pockets or zipper.
But Smithy gets it and that's what I do, wear it to work or wherever you go, in the car.
At home, roll it in a ball and sit on the damn thing and it will look awesome in time. :)
Lol, I agree. My most comfortable and best looking A2 pretty much went through that same process. Good tips about using a protective bag.

WingAndaPrayer

Those 5* jackets are 3 feet thick, I had a very stiff one that I left out on the clothes line in a downpour. It softened up very quickly after that.

Smithy

Another thing I've bleated on here about is wearing a new jacket in the rain and a downpour is even better. This will hugely help the break in, make some of the grain pop and get it moulding to your body shape.

At the end of the day and after all these years of fucking around with jackets, I reckon the two biggest problems is that people: a) over think this stuff and; b) baby jackets.

If you have a jacket that you like and it fits well, then wear the shit out of it in all weathers and doing whatever you want. And the other thing which is just as important is to stop giving and shit and worrying about it. Stop worrying about scuffs and marks, stop worrying about weird wrinkles, stop worrying about the damn jacket, just wear it and enjoy wearing it.

It's just a jacket and you could get run over by a bus tomorrow so why not just wear the thing and enjoy it today.

Blackboxr1200S

Hi Blackboxr1200s
Looking over the pictures of your dubow here and am wondering about the color of the goatskin and knits. Is it the russet brown or crystal brown goatskin? The knits look to be the medium brown rather than the russet brown, is this correct?
Thanks.
HI,

The jacket is a Mid Brown color, I did not specify any specific goat skin,
For the Dubow, Shawn only uses this type of skin I guess.
Knits are dull purple, not brown and for the stitching I asked to use a khaki thread.

IMG_20230508_144649.jpg

HI,

The jacket is a Mid Brown color, I did not specify any specific goat skin,
For the Dubow, Shawn only uses this type of skin I guess.
Knits are dull purple, not brown and for the stitching I asked to use a khaki thread.

View attachment 109471
Hi,
Thanks for the picture and info. I placed my order this morning and requested the same colors except I decided to go with the olive green thread. Thought that would be a nice contrast. Guess it will be completed and here in a week or two.