• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 star goat skin thickness?

Looking into a 5 star dubow in seal goatskin but am a bit lost about which thickness of goat skins to order, there standard 0.8-1.0mm or there premium 1.2-1.4mm. Would welcome comments about which is most vintage accurate and comfortable. I have an Aero Real Deal A2 in horse hide which I like but not sure of the leather thickness so can't use that to determine which to go with.

Silver Surfer

I have a 5* goat dubow, and imho, the goat skin has a little heft. not bulky or stiff by any means, but not thin. the color is best described as chocolate brown. the surface color wears down to a lighter under color. I decided on a 5* goat dubow because 5* is the only reasonably priced repro maker making the dubow contract in goat. I might add that the reproduction is very close to originals in detail.

Yes, you are probably right. I think you would have had to specify it if you wanted it. So this, along with your previous comment is a good data point. Thank you!

Blackboxr1200S

My jacket, few months old now and enjoying it a lot.
Quickly took a picture of it when it was watching the Memphis Belle movie.

As mentioned, it's not thin leather at all, but is a lot of fun to wear. fit and drape are spot on.
Like silver surfer, I just ordered the Dubow in goatskin. dull purple knits.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_20230508_144639.jpg
    IMG_20230508_144639.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 139
A-2 jacket leather was supposed to be in the neighborhood of 0.6 mm to 1.1 mm (per Eastman's A-2 guide), although variation was common. So the thickness of Shawn's Dubow goatskin is accurate.
This is the info I was hoping to get and definitely helps me with my choice. I think the thicker premium leather choices Shawn offers would be more appropriate for an A2 that you intended to wear for motorcycle riding perhaps. The normal or standard 0.8-1.0mm will be the best choice for comfort.
Thanks for your input mulcerber!

WingAndaPrayer

This is the info I was hoping to get and definitely helps me with my choice. I think the thicker premium leather choices Shawn offers would be more appropriate for an A2 that you intended to wear for motorcycle riding perhaps. The normal or standard 0.8-1.0mm will be the best choice for comfort.
Thanks for your input mulcerber!
This is on the FiveStar fb page. Hope it helps
ED95FF53-8D71-4327-9977-5F81D8544C02.png
71EA4E6B-32B8-448D-A402-949AB4A14689.png
D90793B7-FE81-4AB6-AFDD-4658B6FF2814.png

My jacket, few months old now and enjoying it a lot.
Quickly took a picture of it when it was watching the Memphis Belle movie.

As mentioned, it's not thin leather at all, but is a lot of fun to wear. fit and drape are spot on.
Like silver surfer, I just ordered the Dubow in goatskin. dull purple knits.

Peter
Great looking a2. Did you order the large? If yes I'm wondering what the length of your epaulet is from collar seam to shoulder seam. It would be a useful measurement to help me determine the sleeve length I need to to ask Shawn for when I order mine. Unless you ordered a custom shoulder width for your jacket, the large is shown to have a shoulder width of 17.9" the chart for the goat skin dubow.

Blackboxr1200S

Great looking a2. Did you order the large? If yes I'm wondering what the length of your epaulet is from collar seam to shoulder seam. It would be a useful measurement to help me determine the sleeve length I need to to ask Shawn for when I order mine. Unless you ordered a custom shoulder width for your jacket, the large is shown to have a shoulder width of 17.9" the chart for the goat skin dubow.
Thanks,
Pretty happy with this one and have a HH Rough Wear on the way as we speak.
Must admit, it took me a few jackets to get the fit and size right.
Shawn's team recommended size 44 based on my measurements I provided.
I did add some length on sleeves and about an inch to the length of the jacket.
I'm not at home right now, but will post the exact measurements later on.
But the 5* guys do a splendid job on making you the A-2 that fits.
Take a jacket that fits you right, measure it up completely laying flat and send them to 5*.
They'll advise what's good for you.

Smithy

Not 5 Star (but once again leathers from the subcontinent) I've got a first gen AVILTHR Bronco from 2018, very nice leather and thickness. But it's the same as with all veg tanned leathers in that the drape is far stiffer than an original had.

You need to beat the shit out of it and really wear the bejesus out of it to get it behaving like an original.

With that said I would never sell it, perfect fit and now (once I've kicked the shit out of it) it looks the dog's danglies.

Long and short of it - there's some good stuff out of Pakistan but it might need a heavy hand to make it look good.

Mind you that's like all leather jackets, they look better the worse you treat them.